Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A Little Quilting


My 6 year old had a chess tournament on Saturday (his first one!) and it required a lot of sitting and waiting. I was smart enough this time to bring along some handwork. Fortunately I had a package of prepared Dear Jane blocks ready to go. It took 8 hours to play 5 games of chess and appliqué two blocks (along with a few breaks for pizza and cheezits)! We took home a trophy for 5th place in the K-1 division and a first tournament pin. The first block is J10, it's called Cheiko's Calla Lily and has 21 pieces. The second is C11, it's called Soldiers and Sailors Monuments and has 12 pieces.
Then I decided to practice paper piecing on these little log cabin blocks. I ordered a panel of quilting saying from Keepsake quilting that is made of 3.5 inch blocks. I thought I could alternate them with these little guys and make a little wall hanging. I love the accuracy of these blocks, but I don't enjoy the process as much as regular piecing. Still, I think they are awfully cute:)

No comments: