Sunday, May 25, 2008

Happy Choices

Kurt organized Memorial day celebrations this year. I was willing to let it go with a couple of steaks on the grill and a day off, but I guess he was feeling festive. He went to the store for hot dogs, watermelon and 'smores fixins, and then set up a fire to cook it all on. To top off the day, he promised the kids they could all sleep in a tent in the backyard. He's been out there with them since bedtime, I should think about joining them, or at least feel guilty about not being out there. Instead I'm enjoying lots of uninterrupted time to sew.
I got quite a few of the OC blocks put together, but finally quit after I had to unsew two seams in a row. The orientation on the spinning star blocks kept getting turned around. I'm happy with my color change, I think the new colors look happy together. I'll have to take a closer look at the setting triangles in the morning. Definitely a task for a fresher mind than I have right now.
I have found my next leaders and enders project. I picked up a copy of McCall's quilting magazine dedicated to patriotic scrap quilts. I really liked this one with blue squares and big appliqué sunflowers. I was ready to move on when I looked at the block construction and realized that the basic block was four four patches.
Each one has three dark squares and one light corner. I don't think I can do monochromatic from scraps, but I could easily make a rainbow thing with one color per block. I still have my scrappy Irish chain going as leaders and enders, but this might take it's place when I get it finished up.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I remember when my boys slept out in a tent - I never managed to get a wink of sleep all night. Hope you got some sleep.

Candace said...

Don't feel guilty, just think of it as the kids bonding with dad. Your blocks look great together. I have seen the 2 blocks together on several blogs now, and they really look nice. Makes me want to skip the rest of step 4 and do a couple step fives.

Kucki68 said...

Your OC blocks look good! And the new leader-ender project should be fun.

Kucki68 said...

Your OC blocks look good! And the new leader-ender project should be fun.

Laura said...

I love your OC blocks I can really see the pattern coming out.