Wednesday, May 7, 2008

No Stencil? No Problem!

I went to the quilt shop to pick up a stencil for the green and pink stripy, but they had nothing. I was a little intimidated by just winging it. This is a quilt for someone else, and I didn't want to wreck it. So I found a flowery type design on my computer and reworked it it Microsoft Paint. Then I printed it on tracing paper and used my scrapbooking punches to make a dotted line.
I layed that out on the quilt and got out my handy bag of cornstarch.
Look at that! Perfect little dot-to-dots to follow along.
I got the quilt finished up in no time flat and just sewed on the binding. I'm liking little quilts, they get done so much faster than big ones. I'm really happy with the way it turned out. (I have to pat myself on the back once in a while, my family takes me for granted.)
Speaking of not taking people for granted. I was discussing the Girl Scout quilt project with my co-leader yesterday and she decided that we needed to get a corporate sponsor, or at least find people to donate fabric. Then she remembered that Jo-Ann usually gives a 10% discount for charity projects and volunteered her church ladies to sew down binding for us! Wow, that was a productive conversation. I'm so lucky to have her as my co-leader, she's organized and is great under pressure. She's already found two people who have fabric for us and developed a plan for kitting it before the workshop --AND she finished sewing down the binding on quilt number one.

3 comments:

Candace said...

Sounds like you used a little yankee ingenuity. I really love that little quilt.

Amy said...

*wondering where she can find that magic remote control that Angela OBVIOUSLY has invented to create more than 24 hours in her day....*

:0)
WOW! The quilt and quilting looks great! I really DO love those colors and fabric!

Gonna try sending you email if I can hunt down your addy. I'm curious to know what machine you use. I will start seriously looking within the next month for a newer one, so I'm researching....

BTW---Algebra tests done....quilted for about an hour, but I'm beat. Heading to bed....9:45 pm!
-Amy

Amanda said...

Well done you, that was really brave. Every thinker needs a doer, so you sound as if you've struck lucky with your colleague.