Sunday, September 7, 2008
Finally, Something Quilty!
My plans for quilting the nights away while Kurt was out of town turned out to be overly optimistic. I spent my precious few hours after the kids were in bed grading papers and folding laundry. Not fun, but necessary.
Hannah dropped a bunch of rain on us Friday morning during school bus time. It was fine for the rest of the day, but I hated sending the kids off to school looking like drowned rats. As I hopped in the car to head into work, I noticed water running down the wall of the garage through the ceiling. Apparently our roof has sprung a little leak. I climbed up after work to see what the problem was, and I think it is easily fixable. I think they should have put flashing on the edge that meets the roof and didn't. So I spent the afternoon reading up on oversized, preformed kickout flashing. I don't know if reading about it means I can install it, but even if we end up calling a roofer, at least I'll have a concept about what to ask for. There was also a popped nailhead, which could have been the culprit, so I put that on the honeydew list. When the kids got home, they had a friend over to play and I weeded and pruned around the pool enclosure while they swam. After bed time, I bagged up three huge trash bags full of toys, too small clothes, and miscellaneous rubbish from the Sydney's room and the toy room. I didn't hide the fact that I had cleaned out tons of stuff, but I didn't make a big deal out of it either. So far nobody has noticed anything missing.
By Saturday morning, Kurt was back, and I was finally able to get out and run. We went to the causeway and did almost 10 miles of hills! After that the rest of the day was consumed with more play dates and entertaining the kids. Oh, and a little nap after my hill climbing.
Sunday I went out to run again, and decided since I was already sweaty and grubby, I should do some work in the yard. I have been wanting to do some more caulking around the windows since we had the damp windowsill during Fay. The caulking led to some touch-up paint on the trim work, and getting the ladder out for all of that made me want to do some pruning and weeding in the front of the house. That took my up to lunch time with just enough time to shower and run to Target for a birthday present before an afternoon ice skating party.
Finally, after all of that, I had some time to start working on OHR again. I put the rest of the brick units together and then ironed all my new fall fabric so that I could cut the solid, fall colored bricks. I laid it all out after dinner, even though I haven't got the edges quite right yet, I'm liking the way this is turning out. I'm glad I did the color controlled scheme, with each region of the quilt makes nice little rows. I think it would look really cool with bright yellow pinwheels, green four patches, and blue bricks. A sunshine in spring version of the quilt. I am definitely going to do the geese border, but I should be good and do some school work tonight rather than cutting them right now.