Thursday, July 8, 2010

Thrifty Thursday


I get such a kick out of Tool Time Tuesday and Wordless Wednesday that I thought I would try my own version called Thrifty Thursday. I am going to be talking about inexpensive or free items that can be used for crafting. I'm not sure if all the ideas will be quilt related, but I'll see how things develop.
Today I am featuring Lunchable containers. Most Mom's know what these are, all too convenient little lunches with lots of packaging and little nutritional value. I don't let the kids eat them often, but with trips to the beach, zoo and parks in the summer, it is an easy and quick meal on the go. Most of the little containers have dividers for meat and cheese and could be useful for craft projects like beading or painting. The one I like though, is a little bigger at 5 by 7 by 3 inches and is just the perfect size for holding little quilt squares in various stages of construction. I have one next to the machine holding squares ready to be sewn and another with the sewn squares ready to go to the ironing board. Another holds the ironed blocks ready to be put away or used. They are just the right size to fit in my plastic organizer drawers, so when I collect a few more I might use them to separate squares or scraps by color or value. If you don't have kids or don't let them eat lunchables, look at the packaging on the foods that you do buy, are there any that are a convenient size or shape to work for you? Maybe a strawberry basket, a chip tin or a bakery container? Give it some thought next time you are shopping or browsing your pantry.
So do you have thrifty ideas to share? Send me your thoughts, and if I feature them on a future post, I will find a thrifty little gift to send to you. Maybe a square of recycled fabric or a nifty gadget. Leave me a comment or send me an e-mail. I hope you are all having a thrifty day.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

What a good idea, thrifty Thursday, I think we can all learn so much from each other on tips for saving money. I've seen Lunchables here in the UK, but have never had the need (or desire to be honest) to buy them. I'll try to think of some ideas to swap.

Amy said...

The latest thrifty use of mine: the Crystal Light container (the outer container, not the three-four little ones inside). It's holding my safety-pins for my visit to my sister's house.

Also---not that I use it for crafts, but the Nestle Quik plastic containers---clean it up, remove the plastic labeling, grab some kid pictures and slather on the "Hodge Podge"---v'iola! A personalized pencil holder for my desk at school.

Candace said...

What a good idea. I need to put my thinking cap on.