Saturday, January 15, 2011

Crumbs and Cornerstones

I had a lot of string blocks that I was squaring up to 4.5 inches. Not sure that I wanted to turn them all into stars, I decided to try this simpler setting. When the string and crumb bits got to small to square up to 4.5 inches, I cut them to 2.5 inches and used those blocks as cornerstones. The sashing strips are cut 2.5 by 4.5 and give the blocks a little room to breath as well as separating the bulk of the seams for easier assembly. I am on the hunt for orphan blocks that I can square up to the same size to mix things up even more.  See the little nine patch in the middle?  I think I have some more of those somewhere leftover from a photo quilt that I made for my husbands grandmother who has since passed away. 

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Looking good. I might try some cornerstones next time. By the way, though you might already know this, your Pinwheel Geese post isn't showing up on Blogger. And I'd love to see the block.

Jan Maree said...

I am so glad that I am not the only one who can't see the pinwheel geese block - I thought it was me. Loving the crumbs abd corner stone quilt. I had plans to sew more blue scraps but instead I am completing the scrappy wonky log cabin in hopes of auctioning it for the Flood Relief Fund for Queensland. All in a great cause - blue scraps can wait!

Amy said...

Ummm...have you suddenly cloned yourself? Or maybe you've invented some new device where you push a button and it completely refreshes you so you don't have to sleep???

WHERE are all of these blocks/projects/ideas coming from?

Angela---are you sleeping at ALL????

Darling Jill Quilts said...

I like the crumb blocks. I am hoping to be able to make some and square them up with the GO. :)

Quilter Kathy said...

You weren't kiddin that you had a LOT of scraps!