Saturday, September 3, 2011

Dabbling in the Black Arts

I'm a bit worried that people will not enjoy working with black.  I can't imagine an entire quilt full of just black.  As a background color though, for a collection of bright colored scraps, I think it sparkles.  I've seen lots of great quilts with black and white showing off a splash of bright red or hot pink or lime green.  If it still doesn't speak to you, think of black as a full range from morning dusk to charcoal and ending with midnight.  As for me, I'm going to try to empty out the jar of "dark" and add another block to my Scrapphappy square collection.  Maybe I'll throw in some orange and purple to get a head start of Halloween?  I guess time will tell.

11 comments:

Pieces to Love said...

I made a quilt for my son that is black with pops of color, as soon as he wakes up I will get a decent picture of it an link it up.

Jan Maree said...

It doesn't seem to matter what colour you nominate I have too many scraps! I am thinking placemats this month!

Scrappy quilter said...

Not sure what I'll be doing yet, however I'm definitely going to be working with black, right after I get C's quilt, quilted. I love log cabins done in different shades of black along with whites. Hmmm just might start one of those. I do have a number of black scraps. Hugs

Judee said...

This may be a short month for me but at least I have a few scraps.

suzan almond said...

Love the contrasts to be made with black ! I intend to be busy !

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

Hi
Working with black is fantastic. Just look at amish quilts. Once you have used black and see how it makes colours pop you will think differently about using a "safe" cream background.
Cheers

Linda
Taupo
New Zealand

Quilting By Celia said...

Black is beautiful... great colour and I'm sure it will inspire awsome stuff!!!

Brenda Kay said...

I have been anxious to put together my black/white charms for a while, so this is the month to get it done. Looking forward to a very productive month.

april said...

First thing I thought of too, Razzle Dazzle Quilter, is the Amish. Love their quilts with the black inbetween. Looking forward to doing this one. And did I see your "white" piece, superscrappy?

april said...

Oh! I see your pretty block now! I missed seeing that on Saturday. And love your little loggies too! So beautiful!

Amy said...

Well girl....at my last shopping spree a couple of months ago, I purchased some black yardage. I really don't thinkI have any black scraps.... but I have had black on my mind for a while. However, I'm not sure if I'llget to that this month. CRAZY BUSY weekends coming up, and ..... all those WIPs and UFOs need some attention :0)