Sunday, September 11, 2011

Finally!


So I decided that I finally needed to get started on finishing up Roll Roll Cotton Boll. I think I'll call this version Rolling Right Along. I had to make a few changes due to general distract-ability during the extended construction process. First I put the churn dash blocks together with a different color arrangement because I thought I remembered the directions that way. Once I got started that way I decided I liked it enough to keep in inside out. Then when I put the string blocks together I got carried away and turned them all into squares instead of keeping some out for the setting triangles. So I cut those apart and added another strip of fabric to the edges to stabilize the bias and make sure the triangles were big enough. I think it gives it a border like feel.  I did finally find the pieces for the real border, though I don't think I'll work on that right away.  If I can get the blocks sewn together I will hang it all up and have it ready to go next time I am in a border mood. 
Most of the kids ended up having sleepovers last night though Kurt and I had already arranged for a babysitter.  I had to call and cancel when two of the three were gone for the night.  This morning the girls went to the beach while Ryan was fishing with a friend.  They have the day off school tomorrow while I'm off at in-service meetings.  This afternoon I went out and got a haircut and some highlights, other than that I've had a nice quiet weekend of puttering around the house.  I guess it is time to get some lesson plans and grading done so that I am ready for the week when it starts on Tuesday. 

9 comments:

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

It is looking good. I too have been in the mood to finish this one up. Have a few more squares to sew the HSTs too, then piece it all together. I too sewed ALL my strings into blocks.........LOL> Haven't taken them apart yet. One seam at a time, it will finally get finished.

Lynne said...

Oh wow! I am very impressed! Is it incredibly difficult? It looks it!

Debbie said...

It is going to be a stunning quilt! Keep on that "Roll."

Amy said...

Oh HURRRAYYYYY! Excellent progress on RRCB! Your "waiting 'til the border mood strikes" comment made me grin. Ya goof! You can do it; you can do it! And then....it'll be done :0) (well, except for quilting and binding and labeling), but DONE despite ;)

So happy that your weekend was relaxing and enjoyable. And a 4-day week to boot! Not bad! (yeah, yeah...I know you have inservice, but if you're like me, I don't count them; they're "different" and less stressful and usually don't require prepping).

Happy week ahead.

Amanda said...

I think the quilt looks terrific, I love your colour choices. The beginning of a new school year is always weird isn't it? Sorrow at the end of freedom, excitement at starting afresh. Hope the start of term goes well.

Anonymous said...

WOW that is so cool!!!

Quilter Kathy said...

Way to go! It looks great!

Béa said...

I have RRCB in my to-do list...yours is really beautiful, love your colourway too. XO from France

Andee said...

It looks great! WOW worth the wait on that one!