Sunday, December 18, 2011

Design Wall Monday December 19, 2011

I woke up bright and early Sunday motivated to sew the binding on both of the quilts finished up Saturday.  Pulling down all the four square blocks left a big open space on the wall, leaving me wondering what to work on next.  I seem to be on a leader and ender marathon these days and so pulled out these Irish Chain blocks that are my 2 inch sized lne project. I'll do some quick calculations to figure out how many more I need before starting on the alternate blocks.  Head over to Patchworktimes to see what other people have up on their design walls today.
Two finishes left me with a bit of cleaning up to take care of, but after that I worked diligently on Orca Bay for most of the afternoon until I got called away to take the girls Christmas caroling.  The 350 HST triangle units are sewn and dog eared while a nice stack of string blocks is starting to pile up.  I've got a system going now.  Each time I go to iron a set of strings, I work another group of 10 little squares through the iron and pin them together.  I think by the time all the string blocks are done the other blocks will be ready to have little triangles added on for step 5.  I know that I am still a little bit behind, but with just two more school days before the holiday I should be able to catch up very soon. Maybe even by Wednesday when I have my 1000th post giveaway drawing.   Hopefully maybe. Until then, head over to Quiltville to see how far everyone else has gotten on Orca Bay.

15 comments:

Quilting By Celia said...

You are certainly catching up fast.
Two more projects of yours that I wanna do; the bowtie with the cheddar fabric (ordered recently) and the Irish Chain (never done one before)... and of course I'm also on Orca Bay but unfortunately did not finish part 5 over the weekend.

carolyn berroeta said...

I'ts looking good ! Where are you in Florida, we are going to Sarasota in Feb. to get away from cold France

The Nifty Stitcher said...

Great progress on Orca Bay. I have a system a bit like yours too. I find it's going pretty quickly. it's a lot of fun.

Lynne said...

Sounds like you had quite a productive weekend!

Ellen said...

Good for you for having two finishes at this busy time of year! I have fallen a little bit behind on my Orca Bay too. I am hoping to work on it most of the day today.

heather said...

I'm making steps 4 and 5 at the same time too. It seems to make it go faster.

Deb A said...

That bow tie one is coming along really nicely. The irish chain is very cute and a great idea for the lne. Love the scrappy look of it.

Kathy's A Quilter said...

two finishes, 3 gingerbread houses, another 10/20/30 hst's and countless smiles. You have had a very blessed and productive weekend.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Congrats on finishing the bindings on your quilts and your Orca Bay is coming along fine!
Quilting by the River

Cathy Tomm said...

Yes you look like you have done lots and to catch up on orca bay. I added to ScrapHappy Saturday, my tree with scraps. I am still in wow of 1000 posts.

Julie Kaye from KS said...

Your string blocks are great. Way to make progress in the busyness of the season. Merry Christmas.

Cyn said...

You really are catching up fast. I like your system -- hmmmm, must think about that. Good idea.

AnnieO said...

Great system! I need to get a leader ender going again--been working on quilting so much I've nearly forgotten how to piece. 1000 posts--wow!

Unknown said...

Sounds like your system is working and you are getting alot done. Your design wall quilt projects look great! I especially like the Irish chain.

Quilter Kathy said...

Very fun design wall!
You are doing amazing at keeping up with the mystery, especially at this time of year!