Thursday, December 29, 2011

Taming Scraps

This morning I got almost entirely caught up on Orca Bay. I still have a pile of blocks and parts waiting for ironing. As soon as that is done I'll count to make sure I have enough of everything.  In any case, I'm ready for the new clue tomorrow.  I couldn't hide away all day though, so I pulled my scrap basket out and did some sorting at the dining room table so that I could keep tabs on all the comings and goings. 
  Then I spent most of the afternoon taming scraps.  They have been piling up in a basket for a while, waiting for a little attention. I focused on squares to feed the leader and ender projects, using my GO cutter to streamline the process.  I've got some tumbler blocks going as well as some more red and green bits for the double wedding ring table runner.   
Anything too small to get cut into a nice square or strip will get sorted into a crumb jar to become part of the new Rainbow Scrap Challenge. The jars are a little emptier than they were last year, but somehow they seem to keep producing lots of fun bits for blocks. 
Oh, I also updated my blog margins to show the midget blocks I've been working on for a while now.  I've gotten 66 done so far in about a year and half.  Each of the blocks that I've completed links to a post.  If nothing else, It will make it easier for me to keep track of which blocks are done.  

4 comments:

Amy said...

You = OVVVVER achiever
(Midget block organization and completion)

:0)

I'm looking forward to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge again, and THIS year (next year) I hope to "hang" better with the timeline. My envision: rainbow strings each month leading to an and-of year quilt, similar to this year's Scrappy Block (even though mine only has 6 or 7 blocks complete) :0)

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Hopefully soon I will be able to report I am caught up too with Orca. I was hoping last week to be able to do it today, but I was off Saturday, and ended up working 12 hours today instead. Maybe I will get a little bit done tonight.

Rhonda said...

Great idea. I SHOULD have sorted mine, but didn't think of it. I think this is a good thing to write down on my calendar to do quarterly. I tend to just fling into boxes until they are stuffed full. Now I have about four boxes of various sizes of scraps that need sorting and cut. LOL

gardenpat said...

I've been on the fence about buying a GO cutter or any of the other brands. To cut out squares or triangles, did you have to buy (separately sold) "dies" to use in the cutter or were they part of the original purchase?? If not, how pricey are they and are each one a certain size so if you want 2 different size squares you would have to buy 2 different individually priced dies?