I wanted to use some yellow in today's baby quilt. I needed pink as well, because it is for a baby girl. I had an idea from a Jelly Roll Quilt book that I wanted to try out. Things never quilt work out the way you plan.
I didn't have any pink in the 2.5 inch strip drawer, but there were a bunch in the 2 inch drawer. I am very low on yellow, but I did have some extra strips from an earlier quilt that were cut at 2.5 inches. Slight pattern modifications soon followed. I sewed the two inch strips into pairs and cut the yellow strips in half lengthwise. Those 1.25 inch strips got sewn onto either side of the pink pairs and ironed flat. Since the strip sets were now 4.75 inches, I just cut them into squares and threw them up on the wall. It is sort of a modified rail fence effect. I then pulled out six of the squares where I will insert letters for the baby's name: Evelyn. I think there is enough of the pink star fabric for a border and that will be that. First though, I am in need of caffeine.