Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Tiny Tuesday - Cowboy's Star

 This may come as a BIG surprise, but this weeks Midget Block is NOT applique.  It is hand pieced and is the final block that I  hand stitched on our big family vacation this summer.  It is from the Dear Jane BOM series and is called Cowboy Star
The middle doesn't look quite perfect, because I couldn't get it to lie flat.  I may be able to go back and trim some tips to get it to behave better.

I have all the Midgets so far sashed and hanging out on the wall.  I should think about sewing them together, but it seems like a big commitment.  What if I want to balance the colors better later?
Now for the really big decision, how many blocks should I make? There are 125 blocks published.  I have made106 so far, but because many are "extra" blocks, I still have patterns for 38 unfinished blocks.  The original quilt is 11 by 17, which is 187 blocks.  If I make all the blocks published so far I will only be at 163.  An 11 by 15 setting would put me at 165 blocks needed.  That would make the quilt 66 by 90 before borders.  A 12 by 14 setting would need 165 blocks and end up with a quilt 72 by 84 before borders.  The top of a queen mattress is 60 by 80.  Maybe that could be my target size?  Dear Jane is a square quilt with a 13 by 13 setting.  That is 169 blocks.  Mine are a bit bigger, but I could do 12 by 12 for a nice even 144 blocks.  That would be 72 inches square before borders.  In any case, I guess I should keep making blocks for a while. I would love to finish this year though.  It could happen........

6 comments:

Ellen said...

I love the colours you used in this block. Your design wall is gorgeous -so worth the effort!!

Deb A said...

Hmmm. I'd go with the double bed size - 12x14. With the non-project Grandma's adding in for a couple of months and the 38..... But.... it all depends on how you plan to use this one. Might be a twin size on one of your girl's beds when they get older?
Good luck. This is a very cute block by the way.

Kate said...

Love your latest block, the center being off is not too noticable, especially when you combine it with all your other blocks.

Quilter Kathy said...

OH my...all those numbers made my eyes glaze over!
I think you should make more until you are tired of it!

Amy said...

Weeeeeee!!! LOVE seeing all those numbers in action :)

And golly----that layout is GORGEOUS girl!

Linda said...

Ooh, so cute, love the colors...This looks like a happy quilt to me with all the great colors you have used.