Monday, November 19, 2012

Design Wall Monday - November 19, 2012


The Midget Blocks are getting SO CLOSE to being done.  I have 5 more prepped and ready for handwork during the Thanksgiving holiday, which means I only need 1 MORE block.  I MORE!!!  There are still a couple of rows in need of sashing, but I've got an entire month between Thanksgiving and Christmas to get them all sewn together.  Can't decide yet how to quilt this one.  It is calling for hand quilting.    After two and a half years of making one block a week, I'll let it tell me how it should be finished.  We've grown quite close during that time.  It will almost be sad to be done with my mini blocks.  Almost.

I so wanted to finish that one last block today, but life got in the way.  First up was the big Super Bowl game.  The last flag football game of the season.  The Lightning up against the Cyclones for bragging rights and a HUGE trophy.  Just one amazing play decided the game, unfortunately it was for the other team.  So many sad faces.  Ryan did come home with two trophies though, one for participation and one for having straight A's.  After that Kurt took the girls to the fair while I brought Ryan home.  I actually sat down at the machine and pulled out the pattern for another block before he made arrangements to meet a friend at the park.  It was a beautiful day to be outside.  Breezy and warm in the sun with just a little bit of a chill as the sun started to go away.  Very similar to Saturday actually, when I also spent a big chunk of the afternoon sitting at the park watching kids play.  There is a reason we live in Florida.  I suppose I'll have to find some long pants and coats for the kids when we go North for the Holidays.  Brrrr

14 comments:

Lynne said...

Congratulations, Ryan, on your achievement. Shame about the result in the final game.

Quilter Kathy said...

On the photo it looks like you only need 5 more blocks... Very exciting to be so close!

Deb A said...

Oh, I can't wait to see how you decide to finish this one off. I love what Amy is planning. Only 5 more to go...... Amazing. Have a great holiday.

Sheila said...

Awesome design wall. I haven't a clue as to the quilting. I've never seriously attempted hand quilting, but that might be an option. I imagine that could take a while ...
Nice trophies.
I envy your winter Florida temperatures.

cajunquilter said...

Blocks look great! Woohooo Ryan!!

Judy D in WA said...

The wall looks amazing! You have done so great sticking to this project.

I already know that mine will not be hand quilted. ;)

Way to go Ryan! The team gives out a trophy for grades? If so, that's a pretty special team!

Margaret said...

Congrats to Ryan! And to you...for persevering with your midget blocks. Lovely!

And how far north is north? You'd need more than long pants and a coat up here in Central Alberta! :-)

Candace said...

That quilt is going to be magnificent, and your son certainly had a proud day. It would have been nice to have won, but it's pretty special to have been there and participated.

Cathy Tomm said...

Your quilt is looking good. So nice to be so close to being done. Good job for you son, proud mother! We had a good report card this past week too. Makes being a mother feel so good.

Bonnie said...

Enjoy life getting in the way of your quilting. That time flies by. The midgets look great.

Julianne said...

That quilt is amazing

Amy said...

Well, you are definitely cutting a path for the rest of us, so I will patiently wait to see how you decide to quilt this quilt as well. Amazing progress.

Andee said...

Yay on Ryan's trophies! Can't wait to see how this quilt quilts up!

Kate said...

Congratulations to Ryan on his trophies.

Love all your minis! It's going to be a gorgeous quilt.