Sunday, November 24, 2013

Slowdown Sunday Car Trip Preparation

 There is nothing like the prospect of 22 hours in the car to get handwork preparation underway.  I bought a pattern for Christmas Poinsettias a couple of years ago and finally decided to get started on it.  The flowers are a lot smaller than I had pictured in my head.  I was somehow envisioning a finished 12 inch block instead of a finished 7 inch block.  Am I the only one that wants to do get one block done to see what it looks like before committing to all of them?  The directions were for fusible applique, but I've never been a fan.  Instead I used freezer paper and glue stick to prep the pieces for hand applique.  I've been using this method since seeing some tutorials over at Fabric Therapy.  I think I'll work on some more to keep me busy on the Thanksgiving trip.
Next up is this stack for binding.  The bottom is green crossroads for Phyllis, the middle is an orphan block quilt that Anna practiced on this summer.  The top is Reach for the Stars which just got its binding yesterday.  I love to to binding in the car, it keeps me snuggly and warm as we head north the bitter cold.  It is supposed to get up to 50 in North Carolina today, but a front is moving through early this week and the highs will be in the low 40s (That is 15 and 4 for the sane people who use the metric system).  I know it seems balmy to the northerners out there, but considering that we are still just considering turning off the air conditioning in Florida with a cold front bringing us out of the 80s, it will be quite a change.  I'll be happy to have that coat that I bought to wear to Boston.
Have you got any handwork happening this on this slow and steady Sunday?  Head over to Kathy's blog and see what other people are working on.  

13 comments:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I am looking forward to working on my hexies. Have a great Thanksgiving hope good news comes out of your mil's tests.

Cathy said...

We're traveling westward across North Carolina on Wednesday night so it will be dark and no sewing for me. Saturday will see is traveling Northwards into the mountains of Virginia, and I will get to sew then for 3 hours and then again on Sunday morning for the 4 hours eastward across Carolina again to home sweet home in Raleigh. The first stop will be at a friend who hires me to sew for her, so it will include a dress fitting, that I will then finish while I am there, then on to family to hand sew while I visit.

Quilter Kathy said...

So funny to think about turning off the a/c when our furnace is running almost 24/7 to keep the house at a tolerable 70 degrees! I do hope your trip goes well, and that you enjoy the handstitching projects you are bringing along. I wonder what the kids will do to keep themselves busy all that time!?!?

sophie said...

Enjoy the appliqué. Sometimes a road trip is just reason enough to start on a handwork project. FWIW, I ALWAYS make one block first before committing ...

Kate said...

We were in the high 60's last week, but in the low 20's today. I think winter is here. Enjoy your hand stitching during your travel north.

audrey said...

So good to get the prep work out of the way. I do a practice block sometimes, just to 'see' it, but not always. Depends on how exited I am. Looks like you're ready for the holiday!

KatieQ said...

I love to sew binding when I am a passenger in the car. Even though Boston is only 3.5 hours away, I always take a quilt to bind when we go to pickup/drop off our daughter at grad school.
The poinsettias look like a good traveling project.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

19 degrees here this morning with a wind chill of 5 degrees :)

Deb A said...

Lost my connection and the last comment didn't post! I tend to 'try' a block out too but so far I have always liked them. Hope you have safe travels and a wonderful time with family. Enjoy snuggling under those quilts to keep warm.

Ellen said...

I like to do a test block too, it sure can save a lot of aggravation!

I wish I could sew or read in the car but unfortunately I get car sick.

Cathy said...

Have a good trip. I try one block also before I commit to a whole bunch. So, I have quite a few orphan blocks!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Be careful - sounds like some treacherous weather along the east coast. ;-)

Are you going to work on those in the car? I thought I was doing well to baste hexies in the car - I can get car sickness if I'm not careful so I need something that is fairly mindless so I can look up regularly. ;-)

Unknown said...

Beautiful pics and share a lovely information about beach i appreciate your blog.you must be enjoying very well with your family.
Surfers Rent A Car
61 7 5572 0600
2/11 Northview St Mermaid Waters QLD 4218