Friday, December 27, 2013

Orphan Quilt


This quilt was born out of stack of orphan blocks.  You know the ones -- they were practice, test blocks, extras or mistakes.  Anna helped me puzzle them together this summer and even practiced some quilting when it was on the frame.
I used the white space to practice some free motion filler stitches.  This one is called a crybaby meander.  I have seen it done beautifully.  Mine just seems messy.
This is a small meander.  Easy enough.  I'm thinking of this for the Midget blocks quilt.
I think this one is called brain coral or something similar.
Pebbling is fun, but also time intensive and stiff.  

8 comments:

Kate said...

Great way to use up those orphan blocks.

Ellen said...

The quilt turned out great! Your quilting designs look so good. I think we are our own worst critics!

Linda said...

Great job. I have tons of orphans and you have inspired me to put them together. I will be doing that soon and practice my stitching on them too. Thanks for the inspiration. Your quilting looks great on them...Happy New Year!

Terri said...

What a fun quilt! and since your daughter helped out it is priceless! What a lovely memory for you both.
Hugs

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh what fun!!! I love playing with FMQ but I don't get to do it as often as I'd like. Maybe I need to start collecting some orphan blocks :*) You are so blessed to have a daughter who likes to join you in your creative play!

Vicki W said...

Those blocks made a really happy quilt. Using it to practice quilting was a great idea.

Kathy S. said...

Your orphan block quilt looks like it's full of fun. LOVE your quilting on it. Congrats on another finish for 2013. Happy New Year!

Angie in SoCal said...

What a great quilt you made from orphan blocks. Love the quilting, too. Merry 4th day of Christmas!