Sunday, December 22, 2013

Slow Stitching Sunday

 After trimming up all the Rainbow Janes so far and getting them up on the wall yesterday, I noticed that a few of the melons and star points extended into the seam allowance.  Not wanting the same thing to happen again, I marked the cutting line and sewing line before placing the melons on this little guy.  He is J8 and is called Anna's Anchor.  Sewing down the little melons sound like a great way to spend a few minutes today.
I've been chipping away at the hand quilting on the blue Dear Jane this week.  Just 22 more blocks remain of the 48 in this very small Baby Jane.  I'm thinking a nice rope will look good for the border.  Are you planning a few quiet minutes of handwork during this hectic holiday season?  Head over to Kathy Quilts to see what other hand work is in the works.  

11 comments:

Deb A said...

Very smart! I hope to get into the sewing room today. Must make a binding for the apple quilt! Enjoy your quiet stitches.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Very pretty / enjoy! :)

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I have had this problem with DJ blocks as well. Someday I will get back to working on them! Happy Sunday.

Ellen said...

Cute block! I would love to spend some time in my sewing room but it doesn't look like I will have any time for myself until after Christmas. It is all good though ... once the festivities are over it is going to be all about me!! :)

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I learned to do this the hard way also. I mark the corners of my applique blocks for the same reason. Makes me want to get out an applique block and work on it, but I need to focus on my list of things to get done this winter.

Amanda said...

This looks like a lovely way to spend a Sunday - if you don't have loads of packing to do for a 12 day visit! I'm planning to pack a block for my Yoko Saito house quilt, which means finding time for lots of tracing onto freezer paper, sorting lots of fabric scraps and not forgetting the spray starch, paintbrush and travel iron.

Sharon said...

Beautiful!!

genie said...

I just love your quilt block. It is precious and I know the quilt is going to be darling. There is something about the color and design that pulls at my inner child. This is my first time visiting the meme, so I am having a Christmas treat looking at all the projects you girls are stitching. So much talent. Merry Christmas to you and your family. genie

Cathy said...

I love this quilt. I'm afraid if I tried something like this almost all my melons and points would be in the borders!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I could so relate to your melons and star points extending into the seam allowances. I dislike cutting and am always anxious to get it over and done ... and try as hard as I do to cut accurately, I rarely do (thankfully those days *should* be numbered as Santa is bringing me an Accuquilt Go for Christmas).

I love the little bit you shared of your blue Dear Jane.

Quilter Kathy said...

So fun that you are working on two Jane quilts - blue Jane and Rainbow Jane... both are beautiful!
Thanks for linking up to Slow Stitching!