Sunday, January 10, 2016

Sunday Puttering

 I have a little basket for handwork sitting next to my spot in the family room.  It is calling my name.  There are some little circles in there waiting to be appliquéd down.  When keeping up with a daily project, it seems to help to have everything in one place.
So far, I have not been able to resist the urge to applique the background fabric cutaway from behind the applique circles.  The original blocks are 4.5 inches.  The light squares are on a 3.5 inch background, and the little guys on the bottom are 2.5 inch squares.  That is where I will stop.  After that, the circles get really small!  
 I had asked Kurt quite while ago to make an extension table for my ironing board.  He got to that yesterday and then helped me to staple batting and a fabric cover over the top of the wood that he screwed onto the old ironing board.  It will be nice to have a big surface when ironing freshly washed yardage and finished quilt tops.  I think that I can also put a cutting mat on top as a larger cutting surface.
Then I took some time to update the quilt rack with some of my recent finishes.
Yesterday  I was at school all day with Science Olympiad.  Our big qualifying competition is next weekend and we are really not ready yet.  While they worked on their projects, I hot glued binding to the edges of these mini design boards.  They are made from leftover science fair boards that kids didn't want to take home in year's past.  I used a tutorial at Bee in my Bonnet to make them.  They should be handy for laying out block bits while I am sewing them together.
Today I am home all day!  I am hoping to work on some more circles, and then finish a triangle or two for Dear Jane.  Tonight during Downton Abbey, I am going to pull out my little blue Dear Jane and work on finishing up the border.  It really is SO close.  I think I am down to the last side now.

If you are in a mood for slow stitching on Sunday, be sure to head over to Kathy's Quilts for her weekly link up.  

16 comments:

Grandma said...

So nice to have a handyman for a husband! I have one too.

Ellen said...

I agree that organization is key to keeping up with handwork projects. I so need organization and over the next few months I am working toward that goal.

I so get that you can't resist those little background circles....I wouldn't be able to either!

Juliann in WA said...

I love the idea of using the cut away to make smaller circles!

Anonymous said...

I love you mini design board idea. I'm sure the kids have some old poster boards lying around somewhere. I'll just have to find it while I wait for the hubby to get my main design wall back up on the wall. Thanks for the idea! ~Melanie

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

just look at all of those lovelies on the rack! :)

Jennie in GA said...

You get so much done!! I am in awe. Do you ever stop?? Love your new pressing surface and your lovely display ladder for your quilts.

PaulaB quilts said...

You will love the new pressing surface. I have one on a table. What works best for me was to move the table a couple of inches out from the wall to let fabric go down behind as you work. I did the same for my sewing machine table. All the linked stuff can slide down there, as long as I grab it before it slides to the floor when I cut the last one off.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Your quilts so lovely on your rack. It is amazing what we can get done when we have oursupplies ready. Happy stitching

Teresa in Music City said...

I have a similar box for my handstitching supplies - it makes me happy just to see it sitting there :) Love your circles, and how cute to make the little ones also! I'm doing circles for my RSC project this year.
Thanks for reminding me about Downtown Abbey :)

gayle said...

That quilt rack is loaded with all kinds of wow!
I keep thinking about making some of those design boards (such a great idea), but can't seem to take the time away from playing with fabric! 8)

Kathy's A Quilter said...

love those little design boards, I am now inspired to make mine pretty as well as functional. Thanks for the link.

linda said...

Interesting that 4 years after the tutorial Lori Holt is now selling cardboard design boards for $15 for a 10" block. Ouch - or in other words shes a marketing genius. Kind of sad.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Looks like you are keeping busy in your sewing room. I am in need of a new ironing surface...can I borrow your husband to make one for me??? LOL!

Cathy said...

I've been making circles too and found it helps to keep everything organized and ready too. I like the little circles you are also making. Yes, there has to be a stopping point for those circles...it would be difficult to applique a circle the size of a period, I think!

Kate said...

Sounds like you have a lot going on in the sewing room and outside it. Good luck on the Science Olympiad. Drama Teen had her first review session Monday night for the Chemistry Olympiad.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

This ole lady can't figure out how to do the linky and have it work--
my blue block for this month is listed on my Jan 25th post--the blue dress--what do I need to do???
love and laughter, di