Tuesday, October 28, 2008

It Never Ends


I always know that I am starting to get overwhelmed when I can't remember all the things that need to get done. My routine is pretty stable, and I can usually manage to get by with a simple calender and maybe a shopping list. When life starts to get a little frantic, things start to slide. Then something doesn't get done, and it makes me crazy, and I start to feel overwhelmed. I told one of my classes today that I was starting to feel fragmented, a clever student suggested that when you defragment your hard drive, you throw out all the stuff you don't need any more. Of course he thought chemistry was one of the things we should think about deleting!
Sometimes I react to stress by getting my act in gear and powering my way through the list. Sometimes though, I try to ignore all of the things that aren't getting done. Denial never seems to do the trick for me. I just end up getting more frazzled. So here I sit posting to my blog, wondering if I'm going to get the lab reports graded and put together a power point, or just hope I wake up early enough in the morning to get something done before car loop duty. On the bright side, I have managed to power my way through 7 loads of laundry this evening, so I can cross that one off the list.
As busy as it is though, it is all good stuff. I'm happy to be able to do all of the things I do. I am satisfied with the big picture and the major life decisions, and that should be enough to help me get through the day to day. It's easy to forget about that in all of the minutiae.
My nephew Zach is getting better again. The antibiotics seem to be working, and if he continues to improve, he could go home in the next few days. I think it's been over three weeks that he's been in this time, and I'm sure it must seem like an eternity to my sister. I wish I lived closer so that I could help out.

5 comments:

Donna said...

its when you become too busy to know that things are being forgottena nd fallen off the plate that you really need to trim back! :-)

Julie said...

Bless your heart! I am so glad little Zach is doing better. I am hoping he comes home soon too.

Amy said...

First, I'm SO HAPPY things appear to be better for Zach.

Second---thanks for proving yet again that we were created from the same mold! BOY---you said it when you said you'd love to ignore all the things that aren't getting done, but that denial gets us more stressed and frustrated! Finally, yes...it's just time to BITE THE BULLET! I'm sure you'd agree that it's MUCH nicer once everything is done----more relaxed---happier---less stressed. THE SAD THING---"those happy times" don't last long *sigh*. Seriously----doesn't it seem like you're ALWAYS doing laundry? or dishes? homework? teacher-prepping? lesson planning? cleaning house? picking up after family?

But then----you made the ever important statement! "As busy as it is though, it is all good stuff......I am satisfied with the big picture." I always enjoy checking in on you---we are so similar--I just wished we lived closer. I'm sure we'd be a dynamic-duo!

Andee said...

As a fellow teacher I have to agree that it never ends! I just tell myself that if I keep doing one thing at a time I will get it all done...somewho it does seem to get done too!

ADRE_A said...

Oh my God, this is a very fearful reality. I have no idea how you deal with it but I think I could never deal with it. I know that information is very worthy now and a fantastic read helped me to overcome my insecurities about my sexual life. I am so happy about it!