Friday, June 24, 2016

Back into Home Mode

 How wonderful it feels to be home again.  Back in my own bed.  Caught up on laundry.  I got the first two sections of OMG sewn together.  Just one more section to go......  I am hoping to be able to settle in and get quite a bit done before we have to be off again for our family vacation later this summer.  
 Anna and I had a great time at Genius Olympiad.  It was quite chilly in upstate New York.  A nice change really from the summer baking of Florida.  Anna thought that staying in dorms and eating dorm food was quite exotic.
They had chipmunks!  So much cuter than our squirrels, though they had those as well.  
Anna met a nice group of girls from Florida.   They were mostly from a private school in Orlando.  Also, two sweet girls from Kentucky who were in the short film category.  Kelly came alone from Pensacola and she joined us later for the college tours.  
After getting an only an honorable mention last year, Anna was so excited with her gold medal this year!  I'm so proud of her for sticking with it and improving her project so much.  
Niagara falls was quite damp!  Because we had done the boat tour last year, we went into the caves this year and enjoyed the view very much. 
 Then we were off for a New York, DC and Ivy league tour.  I had never been to the city before.  It was quite stimulating.  We had already done the DC tour not too long ago, but there is always more to see there.  I learned quite a bit during the college tours.  It was a glimpse of the road not taken.  I was so thankful to be going to college at all, and fancy out of state schools were never on my radar.  It was all very enticing though, so much opportunity for the lucky few.
Now it is back to real life again.  Anna and Ryan both have summer courses to work on.  Sydney seems to be wasting her summer away on Netflix.  Maybe I'll go and see if I can get them moving.





17 comments:

Charlotta said...

The Ivy League stuff can be quite an amazing experience for the right kids. I hope Anna enjoys it all and doesn't feel stressed out by expectations! Some kids who do well feel an extra need to continue to achieve and put a lot of pressure on themselves, even if nobody else does. I don't know your girl at all, of course, I just worry about all girls like Anna, because girls are more likely to do that to themselves. Of course, I want her to go as far as she can and as she is able and comfortable doing, I just hate to see young girls putting themselves at risk to do so. I imagine you and your home probably isn't conducive to that kind of pressure, but it can come from friends and school as well. Best of luck to her!

Libby in TN said...

Sounds like you had a great time. It will be interesting to see where Anna ends up. Your OMG is looking great.

Pam said...

I love the colors of your OMG quilt. Very nice!

Anonymous said...

Love your OMG quilt!

fredericsneice@gmail.com

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Looks like all enjoyed the vacation. Some day I will start OMG....LOL

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

My daughter and I went on college tours during our Spring Break in April. She did not want to visit any schools until she had gotten into them--she feared falling in love with one and then not getting in. The tours were impressive, but so were the financial aid packages. I was glad I did not have to make the decision! Enjoy your time at home!

Sheila said...

Beautiful quilt!!!! I love it.
Looks like you are having a wonderful time.

Jo said...

Sounds like a great time you had

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a wonderful trip and congrats to the brainiac!!!

Ivani said...

Welcome to your Home sweet home! Can't wait to see your OMG quilt finished. Congratulations to Anna for the gold medal!!!

Delighted Hands said...

I'm glad the trip was so successful!
The quilt is a beauty and is such a wonderful example of your intricate work in color!

margaret said...

loving your quilt. Interesting reading about the trip to look at colleges, my granddaughter has been looking too as she is off to uni in september but she has chosen to go to Leeds which means she can stay at home

Deb A said...

Busy, busy! Congrats to Anna. Hope she selects a school that will feel like 'home' for her. Enjoy your much deserved vacation at home.

Kate said...

Congrats to Anna on the first place in science, that's very cool. Looks like you had a great time at the competition and afterwards. But it's always nice to come home. Hope you get in lots of stitching time soon.

gayle said...

I love your OMG, and congrats to Anna!

مسوق الكترونى said...

أفكار المظلات والسواتر
حداد
ملاحق نجارة
مقاولات البناء
تغطية خزانات المياه
اعمال الترميم والصيانة
مقاولات عامة
تغطية الدينمو والفلاتر
سواتر
مظلات

مسوق الكترونى said...

شركة تركيب غرف نوم بالرياض
"
شركة تركيب اثاث ايكيا بالرياض
فني تركيب اثاث ايكيا بالرياض
"فك وتركيب غرف نوم بالرياض
"
شركة تركيب باركيه بالرياض
فني تركيب باركيه بالرياض
"شركة تركيب طارد حمام بالرياض
"
شركة مكافحة حمام بالرياض
"شركة تركيب ستائر بالرياض
"
"فني تركيب ستائر بالرياض
"
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالرياض
شركة نقل اثاث من الرياض الي الاردن
نجار بالرياض