Saturday, December 31, 2016

Back Home and Gone Again

We took the kids on a Christmas Cruise.  It left on December 26th and we just got back home this morning.  The kids had so much fun, especially on this waterfall jumping trip we took in the Dominican Republic.  We all came back a little bloody and bruised, but WOW was it a lot of fun.  One of those once in a lifetime experiences that you are so glad you tried but never want to do again.  Kurt's brother and his family came along with us, so it was a nice chance to spend some time together.    
Unfortunately, while we were gone, be got a message letting us know that Kurt's mom had passed away.  She has been fighting lung cancer for the last couple of years, and had been in a lot of pain for several months now.  It is a relief to know that she isn't suffering anymore, but it was still a shock for everyone.  We are home for just enough time to do laundry and pack again.  Then we will head up to North Carolina to spend some time with Kurt's dad and visit with family who are coming for the Celebration of Life that she wanted to have instead of a funeral.
I have plenty of handwork ready for the car trip.  Maybe I will finally catch up on the 366 circles for my Leap Year quilt?  I'll set up next weeks ScrapHappy Saturday before we hit the road.  Hopefully I'll be able to check in with everyone when we are home again for good.  

12 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sorry to hear that your enjoyable trip was disrupted by the loss of your MIL. Safe travels to and from the Celebration of Life.

Jo said...

Sad to hear the news. Not a good way to start the year. Take care and travel safe... it was good your family got to enjoy your holiday...

Kate said...

So sorry for the loss in your family and sorry it had to happen when you are on holiday. Drive safely.

margaret said...

happiness mixed with sadness for you all. Now free of pain but I am sure Mum will be so missed.
The cruise sounds fun, my nephew is a teacher in the Dominican Rpepublic he loves it out there

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

A bittersweet time for you and your family, I am sure. It sounds like you had a wonderful time on your trip, but so sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. Safe travels to NC.

Deb A said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Enjoy the memories you share as you spend some time with family. Safe travels to you all.

Rochelle aka Bella Quilts said...

It's so hard to lose the ones we love, especially around the holidays. I hope the Celebration of Life brings some measure of joy to all as you remember a special person in your lives.

Sara said...

My sympathies for your loss. It's hard to see your loved ones suffer but also hard to lose them. The Celebration of Life does seem to be a wonderful idea for those left behind to share good memories.

Jennie in GA said...

Peace and comfort to your family. And safe travels....

beaquilter said...

sorry for your loss and wave hi to me- I'm in NC :)
I want to go on a cruise and wish we did it when we lived in FL....

Karen said...

So sorry for your loss. I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Cherie in St Louis said...

Life can be such a roller coaster sometimes. Wonderful you had such a great vacation and so sad to lose a family member. You are in my thoughts.