Wednesday, August 2, 2017

NEW Month

It is a new month, that means a new color!  I was so carried away with the storm that wasn't, I almost forgot.
For August, we are going to be working with the light neutrals.  Cream, ivory, mixed backgrounds.  You get the idea.  Try to expand your range from snowy white to paper bag beige.  This is also a chance to get rid of light pastels that don't blend will with your main color scraps.  If you lights won't work with your blocks, feel free to take a catch up month.  I know a lot of us could work on blue for years and years.  Don't skip it because you are scared though.  It is fun to play with contrast to get odd ball neutrals to work together with enough contrast so that the pattern shows up.  If worst comes to work, you can always make a few placemats or potholders.
Emily totally fell apart before it reached this side of the state.  It was windier this afternoon than it ever was as the remnants of the storm passed overnight.  Best of all, our roof got fixed today, so we will be ready if we really do get a storm.  There was a small leak over the garage, but it is all better now.

While I was waiting on the roofers, I was quilting away on my Orange Peel blocks.  Pearle cotton with big stitches goes to super quick!  I finished off all the blocks for which I could find a suitable color of thread.  I don't seem to have anything in orange or aqua, so those blocks are on hold until my order comes in from Connecting threads.
Probably for the best though, my fingers are sore from too much hand quilting.  Now they will have a chance to rest up a bit while the order is in the mail.
While I am waiting, I need to decide what to do with the border.  Changing colors for each of the piano keys might be a bit much.  Something in a neutral perhaps.  

Tomorrow is the first day back to school for teachers.  I was in today trying to get a head start on things.  Everyone will be back tomorrow for lots of meetings and frantic getting ready.  For now I'll take a deep breath and enjoy the last few hours of vacation.   

17 comments:

Material Girl said...

Wow, school starts early for you. We have more than another month.....

Adventurous Quilter said...

Oh fun! I have a tub full of neutral 2.5" strip scraps, they won't work with my other previous blocks so I have no idea what I'll do with them but I'll come up with something 😍

Katie Z. said...

Oh, good. I actually have some neutrals to sew!

Chantal said...

Yay for neutrals! Not sure what I'll do but I will try to come up with something. We never have enough 9-Patch blocks anyway! Enjoy the slow stitching on the Orange Peel. It looks great! ;^)

Quilter Kathy said...

You have been making great progress on the peels!
Enjoy your rest while your skin heals :)

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Yeah, what up with that hurricane? We looked at the news and saw it sitting there. It took several moments to realize it was going away from us and not toward us here in Louisiana. Geez.

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW glad to hear that you guys were unaffected by the storm. Off to dig out my light neutrals... See you Saturday for the LINK PARTY!!

Cathy said...

Glad your storm amounted to nothing. As you watch for hurricanes, we watch for fires in the west. it's always something. I'm excited about the light neutrals - that is just what I was secretly rooting for! Enjoy your back to school prep!

Nell's Quilts said...

Definitely going to be a challenge with the projects I'm working but I'll give it a try. Paper bag beige may make it big in some of my projects. Happy to hear Emily petered out and didn't cause damage. Back to school already; seems you just started summer break.

Teresa said...

Glad to hear you are ok. Those storms can really be scary things. When I thought of neutral pastels, I was not sure what I was gonna do as that simply would not work with the Jack's Chain I am working on. I recently finished a Star of Bethlehem quilt where I used fabrics from the Forever Love line by Eleanor Burns. This is a pretty line of soft pastel florals - and I decided I would just do a Forever Love month for August. Its kind of in theme as the palette is pastel colors, and besides I just love this fabric and have not used it at all in the earlier months as the quilt was still in construction. And to top it all, my "forever love" - my husband, was born in August - so makes it all the better!

Jo said...

Can you get a fun variegated thread and just quilt right around the seam line every inch. I am doing this at the moment and just use masking tape to mark it... https://jobutterfield.blogspot.com.au/2017/01/more-hand-quilting-with-perle-thread.html

Kathy S. said...

woohoo! That goes right in to my Go FOUR It 2.5" patches! I'm totally loving using unusual neutrals.

Alice said...

I certainly have plenty to choose from. Let the fun begin!!

Monica said...

I am glad you are all right! I was starting to worry. A low volume month sounds great to me!

Magpie Sue said...

It seems remarkable to me that you're getting ready to head back to school already! Kids around here will be going back soon enough but still have until the end of August at the earliest.

I'm glad your roof was ready to withstand the higher winds and rain, and that you were spared worse weather. We're having our own little heat wave here in the Pacific NW, one that would make you laugh to hear us talk. ;-) Unfortunately, it's bringing down smoke from the wildfires in B.C. and that's impacting me negatively. It's always something!

Kate said...

Glad the storm fell apart and the roof is now fixed. That's a nerve racking situation. We lost part of our roof in a spring storm and had a hard time finding anyone to fix it before the next round of storms hit. Hope it's not been too manic. Can't believe it's time for back to school already. Summers seem to get shorter and shorter.

Katie Z. said...

That really was quick! My husband starts meetings for school Tuesday, and school starts the next Wednesday. It's going to be crazy!