Sunday, August 13, 2017

Sunday Funday

 I need just one more row of nine patches on point to finish up this quilt.  The green nine patches are already made, they just need to be framed and I can sew the rows together.  Nine patches are so versatile!  This quilt was to use up leftover nine patches from something else.  I wonder what I will do with the leftovers from this quilt?  There are always leftovers.  Always.
It is awfully nice to have a weekend already after only 2 days of school.  It almost feels like summer again.  Except of course for that thought in the back of my mind that I'd better try to remember what I'm teaching on Monday.  The freshmen are taking a pretest.  That will give me a bit of time to do the first grading of the new year.  The AP kids need to actually learn something though.  I'd better do something about that before the end of the day.  Still plenty of hours left in the weekend though.  I plan to enjoy all of them!
While dropping off Ryan yesterday afternoon, I was able to pop into Jo-ann's to pick up teal and brown thread.  I had tried Michael's in the morning when I was up north at the gym, but they only had a few colors.  Joann's had only size 8 in the brighter colors, but it will work well enough I'm sure, even though I was using size 12.  There doesn't seem to be too much difference.  Just a few more blocks until I can move on to the border!  I think I will do something slightly wavy with gray thread.  Maybe an orange peel shape with the points on the seams between the colors?
I'm linking up with Kathy for Slow Stitching Sunday as well as Cindy for Oh Scrap!.  Be sure to visit for some hand quilting inspiration and scrap busting ideas. 

17 comments:

Deb A said...

What a great use of your scraps! It is so fun to see the scrappy quilts you come up with. I'll keep this in mind for my 16 patches this year I think.... Enjoy your day off before that first full week of school.

The Cozy Quilter said...

School doesn't start here until after labour day. Sounds like a great way to spend your day!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

You remind me of how much I enjoyed making those nine patch blocks. I really like those rows of colors. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Magpie Sue said...

It's so hard for me to wrap my brain around the earlier start times for some school districts! Doesn't seem like you've had much summer vacation at all. You always put your time to good use though! That's going to be a lovely, colorful hand quilted orange peel quilt someday. :-)

Karen's Korner said...

Such pretty 9 patch blocks...they look like jewels.

Vireya said...

Looks great! But won't you need to add two rows to keep the checkerboard background correct?

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your rainbow of nine patches! Such a great idea for a scrappy quilt! Hope you enjoyed some slow stitching today - teachers need that on Sunday!

Libby in TN said...

ALWAYS leftovers. They're like mushrooms and multiply in the dark!

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

School doesn't start for almost another month here. The kids are just 2/3 through their summer break. I love what you've done with the nine patches. It is quite stunning going back and forth between the black and white background. Have a great week! Andrea

PaulaB quilts said...

Your nine patches on point are really making a great rainbow. And the orange peels are looking good, will be even better with the hand stitching.

Pamela Arbour said...

I can't believe you have gotten so much done this year. You have had a really full plate and yet you have managed to get some great quilts assembled and finished. Congratulations! I love this one.

Bonnie said...

I really think those leftover scraps reproduce over night. I've finally just gotten a big box and tossed them in until I have time to actually sort and cut. (Which may be NEVER.) I do pull from that box when I need a smaller piece. Your orange peel quilt looks great. I need to search back to see how you are quilting it. Yea, I have a finished top I haven't quilted yet...

The Joyful Quilter said...

I like your idea for the Orange Peels centered on the seams of the border. Good luck with finishing the Rainbow Nines quilt top!!

CathieJ said...

There are still 3 weeks until school starts here. Now I know why we are always stressed about getting the material finished in time for our AP and IB students. What do you teach? I am currently preparing my university Precalculus class, but I also work in the Math Lab at a High School. I love your scrappy Nine-Patch. I love those thread colors. Enjoy your stitching.

Swapna madhuri said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sandy Panagos said...

I love the nine-patch quilt. I get the best ideas from your blog! If only I had time to act on them all.

Swapna madhuri said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.