Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Yes We Can


Today was a better day than yesterday. Calmer at least. We had a fire alarm during Forensic Science today and had to postpone our lab for a day. When they turned on the heat, the dust set off the alarm. I guess that gives you an idea of how often the heat gets turned on around here. There are serious freeze warnings out for the rest of the week. The shrubberies all look like ghosts because people have them draped with sheets for protection. It all works out for the best though, because there is another open house at school tomorrow, and now we'll be doing a lab while it is going on. I just hope it warms up before our camping trip next weekend.

I spent a little time this afternoon working on my Inauguration Quilt. It came together quite quickly, now I just have to decide if it is done yet. The space where I want to hang it usually holds a larger quilt, and I don't like to have pieced blocks on the outer edge, so it might get another round of something. I used Tonya's free pieced letters and then added some wonky stars in the corners. I'm not thrilled with the "a" in can, but otherwise I'm pretty happy. I had a tough time with the "W" but I think it worked out OK. Someone posted a tutorial recently on the stars, but I can't remember who. (Did anyone else see that one?) I used leftover flying geese triangles from the Double Delight to make star points on 2 inch red background squares and then put them together to make 9 patches.
UPDATE -- I just figured out why the "a" seemed a little odd. It's backwards! Sometimes I am a little dyslexic. I hate to go back and rip it out, but I can't leave it in that way. Maybe I can make another and applique it over the top? I'll have to ponder that one overnight. I'm not ready to grab the seam ripper right now. Big Sigh.
UPDATE #2 - Quilt Pixie was kind enough to remind me where I saw the star tutorials. It was Belinda at Brown Dirt Cottage who was kind enough write one. I used triangles rather than squares for the points, but otherwise used the same process. I know I say this a lot, but wouldn't a whole quilt of those little wonky stars be just too adorable?

4 comments:

Donna said...

some of those letters of tonya's are tricky, but yours turned out great :-) I saw the tutorial for the stars over at Belinda's Brown Dirt Cottage blog.... they're great aren't they :-)

Tonya Ricucci said...

that W is great - I love it. D'oh on the backwards a. kinda fun though - to have it backwards that is. anyway, fun quilt. you could always put more letters in a border. about obama or you....

Browndirtcottage said...

I wouldn't 'fret' over your backwards 'a'.....i think it is very whimsical that way!

Cornfield Quilter said...

I think your quilt is perfect! I have yet to try the letters but they are on my list of things to do. :D