Friday, July 9, 2010

June Mystery

I just finished putting the blocks together for the June Mystery. Even though it is summer, the days seem to fill up on their own.
I took this picture of the back because I thought it looked so pretty with the light shining through. Just like stained glass. The leaders and enders I used to turn the rows are still dangling on the sides.


Kurt's boss has a 17 year old son that was in a car accident three days ago. He was turning left when another car ran a red light and crashed into the driver's side door. Despite emergency surgery to repair the damage, he remained non responsive and was declared brain dead yesterday afternoon. Although I didn't know him, my girlfriend has a son the same age and they went to kindergarten together. She wanted to go to the hospital to pay her respects and so we took a card over together last night. The priest was there as they waited for the organ donation team to show up. We went out to dinner after that and talked about lots of things; death and family and life. It's been a thoughtful day around here. I wrote a whole post about it, but didn't publish it because this is a quilt blog after all.

Today is Ryan's birthday though, and he wanted to go and see Despicable Me. Tonight we are going to dinner at TGI Friday's and having cake and presents.

5 comments:

Amy said...

First---how truly truly sad and I feel the deepest sympathies when such a youthful person is lost. When I can relate an age to my own life, that is even harder. For what it is worth, my thoughts are going out to the family.

Second, the mystery quilt is striking pictured like that---JUST like stained-glass. Have you thought of a name for it yet?

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

What a tragic, sad circumstance to occur. Life can change, literally, in the blink of an eye. Treasure each and every moment.

Love your star quilt, front and back!! The pic by the pool looks very refreshing~

Linda Lee said...

My heart breaks for the family. There was a quote I learned many years ago, "When you lose your parent you lose your past when you lose your child you lose your future." Also--even though it is a quilting blog--we are hear to listen and understand. I have learned that through blogging friends.

I love your mystery quilt! The colors are brilliant!

Candace said...

How deeply tragic for your husband's bosses family. I guess we need to be thankful for our loved ones each and every day. It's so easy to take everyone for granted until something like this happens.
When I saw the 2 pictures of your quilt I couldn't think of what the second one reminded me of and then I read the caption and I thought that's it.
Happy belated birthday to Ryan.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

I was in an accident just like that 14 years ago, pushed my drivers door to the center of the car. Knowing what my family went through for the 2 hours it took them to cut me out of my car, and then another 3 hours at the ER not knowing if I was going to live or not. I know the family's pain, the only difference, for some reason I made it. Still feel the effects of that car wreck every day of my life. My heart goes out to his family, because he didn't make it. Glad they are donating his organs to help other family's that are feeling pain as they are, and have a chance to have their family member back.

Where is that pattern for that mystery quilt, I love it!