Today I learned that exclamation marks were originally known as marks of admiration. What a nice idea. You can end a sentence one of three ways, with a period. Full stop. With a question mark to indicate a query. Or with an exclamation mark to indicate excitement, astonishment, surprise or admiration.
My first version of the exclamation mark was simple but blocky. I really wanted to have a more angular version though and had to dig in and experiment with several techniques to get it to work. you could use templates of course, but the angles are still a little tricky. Tricky angles make oversized pieces more desirable, and so I decided to look into paper piecing options. I've done traditional paper piecing in the past in which the pattern is sewn directly to the pattern. Given the fairly simple nature of the pattern though, I wanted to try out freezer paper piecing which allows the same template to be used again and again. I have used freezer paper in applique quite a bit, but this was a new method for me.
You can run freezer paper through a regular ink jet printer if you trim it to size but I chose to draw it instead.
It is easy to do, and opens up so many new avenues for patterns. I can see how much fun it would be to draft wonky log cabins or fun star blocks using the same method.
1. Start with a piece of freezer paper. Freezer paper has a slippery wax covered side and a regular paper side. I think this is to keep moisture inside of frozen food, but it works so well for quilting! If you can not find or do not have freezer paper, you can use regular paper and traditional paper piecing, you will just need to make a new copy of the pattern for each block.
2. Draw a rectangle on the non waxy side of this paper that is 3 by 6. This will be the finished size of the top part of the exclamation mark.
3. Draw two small tick marks along the bottom, one inch from each side.
4. Draw a diagonal line from the right top corner to the tick mark closest to the bottom right corner
5. Draw another diagonal line from the left right corner to the tick mark closest to the bottom left corner.
6. You may draw an extra line one quarter of in inch around the outside of your box if you like. It is not mandatory.
7. Trim your rectangle about one eighth of an inch outside the outer border. It is important that you do not have a larger outside border so that you can trim your block without having to run your rotary cutter through the freezer paper which might dull it. You will eventually trim your block one quarter of an inch outside your original rectangle.
8. Fold along each diagonal line to crease the paper using a straight edge.
9. Start with a square of red fabric at least 3.5 by 6.5. It is Ok if it is a little larger as you will trim it later.
10. You will also need two rectangles of background fabric for the two edges. They should be at least 2.5 by 6.5, but with a slight angle which mirrors the angle on the template. I found it easiest to lay the background fabric next to the template and use a ruler to follow the angle. You could also cut an extra piece of freezer paper and use it as a template to cut the odd triangles. When paper piecing, bigger is better, so make these side pieces extra large and trim away the extra later. So much easier than worrying.
11. Press the red fabric to the wax side of the freezer paper , leaving at least a quarter of an inch extra around all outside edges. The wax will melt just enough to temporarily stick the fabric and paper together. It is like magic! Best of all, it is reusable.
12. Now carefully pull up the corner and fold it back along the creased line.
13. Trim away the red fabric one quarter of an inch beyond the seam allowance.
14. Now add the background fabric, right sides together to the red fabric. Line up the edges
15. Now the fun part. Turn the whole stack upside down and sew through both pieces of fabric just at the edge of the folded freezer paper. It is a little game to see how close you can get to the paper without going through it.
16. Now fold the background fabric and freezer paper open and iron them together. The drawn line should line up with the seam, but because you didn't sew through, you won't have to rip it off later.
17. Repeat the same process on the other side. Notice the oversized nature of my side triangle. It ended up big enough that I could use the extra to cut my dividing strips in the end.
18. After both triangles are sewn on, trim your finished unit to 3.5 by 6.5 inches. The cutting should be just outside the paper portion of your template.
20, To the top part with the jaunty angles, add a divider strip which is 1.5 by 3.5 inches
21. Finally, add the dot to the bottom. This part is just two 1.5 inch squares of background fabric surrounding a 1.5 inch square of red. Press the seams toward the red.
Here is the new block next to the original blockier version so that yo can decide which you like better and if it is worth the extra effort to have angles. They do end up at slightly different heights, but one inch won't make much difference in the size of the finished quilt.
I made 7 blocks and sewed them together with dividing strips of 1.5 by 8.5 inches. It is still a very short row, but I am trying to add in some variety of lengths to add visual interest to the finished quilt. The yellow quotation marks are still oddly long. I might shorten that row later.
Love it. I think I might add a mix of both... we will see.
I like your version 2 a lot (much less blocky). And for those that want to include liberated aka wonky exclamation marks, Cheryl Arkison shared her improv pieced ones on her blog a while back.
I like the angles better ....I think thank you
That looks like a lot of fun! Thanks for figuring it out for us!
You used solids. If I use prints, I press the wax side of the freezer paper to the wrong side of the fabric, correct?
I already gave up on ever getting cured of HSV2 because I have try many treatment none of them work out for me I have be to different hospital they always tell me same thing there is no cure for herpes when i came across a post about Dr momoh, in the net from a lady called Rebecca I contacted him and he reassured me with his herbal medicine which I took according to the way he instructed, that how i was cured. I doubted at first because I have been to a whole lot of reputable doctors, tried a lot of medicines but none was able to cure me. so I decided to listen to him and he commenced treatment, and under two weeks I was totally free from Herpes. I want to say a very big thank you to DR momoh for what he has done in my life. feel free to leave him a message on email email@example.com and also WhatsApp him +2347083724098.. or visit his website https://drmomohherbaltreatment.wordpress.com. He can still be able to help you with this herbs medicine: 1...ALS CURE/DIABETES CURE/EPILESY/HPV CURE/LUPUS/HEPATITIS/CANCER/GOUT
Why do a lot of people still suffer from Herpes Virus ?. i was diagnosed of Herpes back in 2015 and i was also told it has no cure, i have been leaving with it since then, but i kept praying and doing everything possible to get cured, so i never stopped doing research about finding a cure, i came across testimonies about people getting cured through herbal medication, and i have always believe in herbs and its medical properties, after doing so many research about it i found Dr. Kham and i discovered he was a professional in herbal medication and he has also helped many people, , we talked on phone and i confirmed he was genuine, i did all what he told me to do and i received the medicine, Which i also used it as he has prescribed, and glory be to God almighty i am completely cured, i went back to my doctor to confirm it. Do not be deceived THERE IS A CURE FOR HERPES, Doctors might tell you there is no cure but WITH HERBAL MEDICATION THERE IS A CURE and if you need it contact him today on: firstname.lastname@example.org you can also add him on whatsapp with this number +2348159922297 You can Also Visit his website to know more about him at > https://herbal-dr-kham.jimdosite.com or https://dr-kham-herbal-home.webnode.com/ for more information about him.
I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!
HERPES INFECTION CURE IS 100% AVAILABLE WITH THE HELP OF DR OGBERAESE HERBAL MEDICINE.Joy and happiness is all i can see around ever since i came in contact with this great man Called Dr Ogberaese. i complained bitterly to him about me having herpes only for him to tell me it’s a minor stuff. He told me he has cured thousands of people but i did not believe until he sent me the herbal medicine and i took it as instructed by this great man, only to go to the hospital after two weeks for another test and i was confirmed negative. For the first time in four years i was getting that result. i want to use this medium to thank this great man. His name is Dr Ogberaese , i came in with his email through a friend in USA called Edith Rose and ever since then my live has been full with laughter and great peace of mind. i urge you all with herpes or HSV1&2 to contact him if you are willing to give him a chance. you can contact him through his email email@example.com or you can also WhatsApp him +2348073818653
I'm super excited to tell the public that I have been permanently cured from herpes by Dr Agbomina . I had herpes for years but everyone told me that there was no cure to it and every doctor I contacted failed to cure me until I contacted Dr Agbomina , he placed me on diet and also sent his medicine to me and today I'm free and my lab test confirmed it. You can contact Dr Agbomina via his WhatsApp +234(805)049-5479 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org You can visit his Website at https://dragbonherbalmedic.wixsite.com/welcometodoctoragbon
Hello, everyone! I'm here to explore blogs and forums about the wonderful and most safe cure for (Herpes Virus). I was positive about the deadly virus called herpes and I lost hope because I was outcast and rejected even by my closest friends. I searched on-line to know an enquirer cure for Herpes and I read someone's testimony on how he was cured from Herpes so I decided to contact the same herbalist because I know that nature has the power to heal everything. I contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will heal me with the natural herbs from God! After 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and he sent it to me via DHL and it got to me after 3 days! I used the med as he instructed (MORNING and EVENING) and i was cured! it's really like a dream but I am so happy! That's the reason I decided to also add more comments on Him so that more can be saved just like me! and you can get in touch with him via email email@example.com or WhatsApp +2348132777335 Kindly visit website https://chiefdrluckyherbaltherapy.wordpress.com/
Post a Comment