Friday, February 28, 2014

Rainbow Scrap Sampler - Friendship Star

This one is another block based on a nine patch grid.  Just replace a few solid squares with HST units and you are ready to roll.
 I like using the easy angle ruler for HST blocks because they can be cut from the same strips as the solid squares.  It is much easier to put blocks together from precut strips if they can all be the same size.
 First you will need one square of dark fabric and four squares of background fabric.  Then you can place your strips right side together and use the easy angle ruler to cut four pairs of triangles.
Sew the triangles together, remove the dog ears and press the seams toward the dark fabric.
 Next lay out your squares as shown.  There is no photo of actual fabric here because I realized as I was sewing my squares together that  one of my HST blocks was rotated.  Check the placement of the HST blocks carefully.  Notice that the dark fabric always touches the dark center and the seams all run parallel to one another.
 Sew your rows together and check your block placement again.  It is easier to fix at this stage than at the next.
Sew your rows together with the seams in the top and bottom row going away from the center and the seams in the middle row going toward the center.  Getting the seams headed in the right direction helps your block lie nice and flat.  Check your final measurements.  It should be 6.5 inches unfinished.
Congratulations, another lovely addition to the Rainbow Scrap Sampler Quilt!

9 comments:

sophie said...

What a sweet twinkler! I have been hoping for green and think I have enough teal in my stash to play in March. Yay!

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

I have fallen totally behind so will be playing catchup with pink and teal in March. I have plenty of scraps in both colors to play now that I've sorted my bins - that is the good news! This block is so sweet.

Sarah said...

Am I being premature or is it green for March? Lol!

Sheila said...

What a sweet twinkle star :D
I love this block.

Deb A said...

Love this block! I think I can dig out some of these colors to have something to show for tomorrow. Did I miss the last pink block?

Jennifer said...

fun! does this mean that march is green for RSC? I'm having trouble finding where to look- is there one specific post to look at for the current months color?

Jennifer said...

never mind! I didn't even read the post below- I wasn't thinking a picture of the sea had anything to do with our RSC! ooops! i'll be doing all my green/teals, since pretty soon we'll be heading out to the gardens and fields (when the winter finally ends!) and I know I won't have time to do this in the spring/summer/early fall, I'm sure. thanks!

Kate said...

I've found a few teal/aqua pieces and plan to stitch this afternoon. Hopefully I'll get this one done, as well as get caught up on the pink ones.

Elly D said...

Very cute block Angela :) Thank you.