Sunday, August 24, 2014

Hawaii Sunset Progress

 Yesterday was super busy with no time at all to sew.  I was determined to make up for it today.  Amy recently finished her Hawaii Sunset top which inspired me to pull my blocks out again.  They have been done for ages, but I needed more sashing strips and some of the odd little setting triangles to be able to sew it all together.  I was able to get everything cut out while the kids were swimming this morning and now they have gone off to play and I am ready to start sewing the rows together.  I'd better get busy quickly before the dog comes and helps me rearrange things.
 Hopefully that will leave a bit of time for slow stitching the binding on Jamestown Landing.  Sundays require a bit of relaxation after all.
The main activity that kept us all running yesterday was a trip to St. Augustine to visit family in from out of town.  Aunt MaryAnne passes away this summer and everyone came down for the memorial service on Friday.  From the back left it is Kurt's mom and dad, Bonnie and Tom.  Next to him is his brother, Uncle Bob and his wife Aunt Barb.  Then there is Kurt on the right and the kids all in the front row.  The rest of the aunts and uncles headed out Saturday morning, but we spent the day exploring downtown and ended the day with a dinner out before heading home again.  It was so nice to be able to catch up and visit for a while.  We live so far away from everyone that it is easy to loose touch.
It was unbelievably HOT yesterday, but we tried to walk slowly in the shade and cool off with a bit of ice cream and some swimming.  I can't remember it ever being so hot for this long since we moved here 16 years ago.  Hoping for cooler weather next week.  Ryan had a football game yesterday as well, thankfully it was early in the morning before the real heat of the day set in. 

10 comments:

Nell's Quilts said...

Weddings, funerals and baptisms seem to keep families in touch. Two are fun and one is necessary. Your Hawaiian Sunset quilt is wonderful. Wish we were enjoying some more seasonal weather in Southern Ontario. The weather reporters and newspapers are referring to this as Augtober. This should give you a good idea of temperatures north of the border.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Hot here too! We have had such a mild summer up till now. Love both of these quilts. I hear Bonnie's new mystery will have as many small pieces, maybe this is the year I should give this a go!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

You have been busy for sure. Beautiful projects to work on in between 'life' : )

Scrappy quilter said...

Beautiful quilts. It's been very cool here for October.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Such pretty projects. Family time is always good isn't it? I hope it cools off for you soon!

Angie in SoCal said...

Love your quilt - what a beauty. At first I thought it was a Bonnie Hunter quilt - but see it is not. You picked a fabulous quilt to make, but so many pieces!

Andee said...

It is looking good! Maybe that will kick me in the butt to get going, I cannot be last can I? (oh yes on this one I can!) I need a bigger design wall or floor!

Amy said...

Oh my--such a FULL post! You inspire me to try to keep blogging once school starts.

Hawaii Sunset success! Yay *bringing out the happy dance*
And already sewing the binding on Jamestown Landing? You are amazing.

Here's hoping the heat breaks soon and leads to a nice Fall season.

Michele said...

That quilt is wonderful and I'm glad that you got some time to work on it.

Kate said...

Hawaii Sunset is so pretty. Hope you found some time to do some stitching on it.