Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Midweek Update

Counting down the days left in summer vacation.  5 more days until preplanning starts.  Yikes!  Summer goes so fast.   While soaking up the last few hours like a sponge, I am spending some quality time with my sewing machine.  The output level isn't high, but I am enjoying playing with scraps and chipping away at lots of ongoing projects.
  Checkout my Giant Rainbow Postage Stamp blocks.  The center section of each block has 144 1.5 inch squares.  I had a dark green, but it didn't have enough contrast with the light green.  I still have a light blue in the works and then I'll add a dark and light neutral block to bring the total count to 12.  Not quite sure where I will go with the sashing on this one, I was thinking of a garden rail idea with some white and grey.  Plenty of time to think about it.
I was so happy with the way the batik stars turned out that I wanted to make one for myself.  This one will have sampler blocks in the star centers though.  It probably won't be started until the new year, but it is fun to plan ahead.  
We've done school supply shopping, and clothes shopping and new shoe shopping.  Yesterday we stocked up on groceries.  The kids have even been helping with a bit of organization and cleaning.  Not too much though, it is almost the end of their vacation too.  Just a couple of doctors appointments to finish off the summer.  Big sigh, counting down reluctantly.  

11 comments:

Brenda said...

wow! great postage stamp blocks!

Quiltdivajulie said...

School started this past Monday here ...

Love your blocks!!

Vicki W said...

I love those blocks!

LynneP said...

LOVE those blocks!!!

Ellen said...

Your blocks are going to make a beautiful quilt. Looking forward to seeing how you decide to set them.

The CNE also known as The Ex in Toronto always signals the end of summer for me. It opens August 16 and ends Labour Day weekend. It is just about a week away :(

Helen said...

Absolutely love these postage stamp blocks!!!

Mystic Quilter said...

Wow these oversized Postage Stamp blocks are wonderful!

Deb A said...

Great blocks... I always loved when you showed them and the white just makes them shine. Looking forward to seeing how they end up in a quilt.

Sheila said...

Love, love, LOVE your postage stamp blocks!

KatieQ said...

Those postage stamp blocks make my heart go pitter pat. I absolutely love them.

Kate said...

Fun postage stamp blocks. The difference between light and dark make them seem to sparkle. Very cool.

It was back to school for DT yesterday. She even had homework last night.