Saturday, November 1, 2014

RSC Sampler- Twinkle Star

This one is on a nine patch grid, meaning each unfinished subunit will be 2.5 inches.
You will need 2.5 inch strips of blue and background along with a 1.5 inch strip of contrasting fabric.  I chose  green to help with the transition from blue to green in the finished quilt.
Start with a 2.5 inch strip of blue fabric and use the wide part of the the tri-recs ruler to cut 4 star points.   
The background of the star points will come from the smaller part of the tri-recs ruler.  These will make the "wings".  With the fabric place wrong sides together, cut 4 pairs of wings.

Here are the pieces you will need to cut:
4  - 2.5 inch squares of background fabric.
1 - 2.5 inch square of blue
8 - 1.5 inch squares of green
Using the tri-recs
4 blue star points
8 background wing pieces (4 right, 4 left)

Sew one wing onto each side of the four star point units.  Trim the dog ears and press.  You will need 4 of these star point units.

Next start working on the small green points.  Place a 1.5 inch square in the lower corner of the star point and draw a line from corner to corner.  Sew on the drawn line.
Open up this flip and sew triangle and repeat on the other corner.
The four star points will be in the middle of each side with the blue square in the middle of the block and the background fabric filling in each corner.
Sew together as a nine patch and press.  The finished block will be 6.5 inches.

13 comments:

Debra said...

I think the light blue will be spectacular! Looking forward to seeing all the posts!

Sheila said...

This is a cute little star block!

sophie said...

What a great block!

Terri said...

Very pretty star surrounded by fireworks. Love it.
Hugs

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh I really like this block! It may have to go into my eagle quilt that I am designing!

Scrappy quilter said...

Great block.

Deb A said...

Ohhh, Love this one! Maybe this will become a scrap challenge block for next year?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the directions. Love the block, but especially like how easy it is Vs. how hard it looks.

Kate said...

That's how you make that block. Not near as hard as I thought it would be.

Marti said...

That is a gorgeous block. I'm going to try it and hope it's as easy as you made it look. Thank you.

Angie in SoCal said...

I've fallen in love with this block! Thanks for the tutorial, Angela - it's great!

gibbygoo56 said...

As soon as I read this tutorial I ordered my tri-recs rulers. I can't wait to try this gorgeous block! Thank you so much for this tutorial. I love learning new and exciting blocks.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Love the Twinkle Star block. Thanks for the tutorial