Sunday, January 8, 2017

Slow Stiching Sunday

 Yesterday it snowed.  So exciting!  We are all ill prepared though.  No coats, no gloves, no snow shovels or ice scrapers.  Honestly it was more ice than snow, but the kids thought it was super fun.
 Mostly, we have been gathered at Pop's house.  The Ohio and Atlanta bunch showed up ahead of the storm, but we have lost lots of other family members to canceled flights and icy highways.  We play cards, and eat, and there has been some napping as you can see.
I made sure to bring along plenty of hand stitching to keep me feeling productive.  I am happy to have these WIP cases to keep my work organized and ready to go. They hold plenty of circles. Hopefully these will be done soon.  The Broken Dishes Blocks are seeing nice progress.  I used a frixion pen to mark the quilting.  So far I really like how clear and sharp the lines are.  I hope that I will still like it when it comes time to remove the marks.  I practiced of course and it worked really well.  Most of the middle is done I think.  I am looking forward to moving on to the borders soon.
I hope that you are all finding some time to slow down and take a few stitches on this day of rest.  If not, you can still visit Kathy and enjoy other people's hand work at Slow Stitching Sunday.   

14 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

We have tons of snow this winter, and we are not at all happy about it :)
Enjoy your slow stitching while visiting your family!

Libby in TN said...

Be careful going home. Our roads are clearing, but folks to the south of us got a lot more snow. Fromm what I've heard, the biggest problem with Frixion pens is the lines will return if exposed to freezing temperatures. I doubt you'll have that problem in central Florida!

Deb A said...

Glad you have those travel packs all set to go when needed! Looks like the kids are enjoying the white stuff and enjoying visiting with family. Safe travels home.

Teresa in Music City said...

We've had our first snow and it was lovely - just enough to cover the ground but not enough to cause problems! Looks like a great time of family and stitching for you :*). You are smart to be so prepared.

Linda said...

Looks like you're all set for stitching. Your broken dishes quilt is wonderful.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Stay warm! The broken dishes quilt is beautiful. I haven't tried the Frixion pens for marking quilts, but am considering it. It does get colder here, so maybe I should avoid it.

Sarah said...

The snow looks fun, unless you are stuck in it of course! Glad you have plenty of hand stitching to keep you occupied!

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Looks like a fun time! We had a couple of inches of snow here in East TN. I love the frixion pens to mark quilt lines. The only problem I had was that they left a white line on batik fabric. Fortunately I had only marked a few lines, so it isn't so noticeable. I haven't had problems on other cottons. I do use a hair dryer to remove the frixion now rather than the iron. After the batik incident I feel like I'm "pressing" the pen into the fabric when using the iron. The hair dryer just removes it quickly. It also removes it much more easily on embroidery...it seems the lines "hide" behind the embroidery floss when pressing, but the hair dryer gets around the floss.

Rochelle aka Bella Quilts said...

We've gone from snow to rain and are part of that "atmospheric river" hitting Northern Nevada. It is definitely a mess out there! Stay safe.

kiwikid said...

The snow looks wonderfu., that comment of course from a Kiwi living in Australia who rarely sees snow! The little bags of work readh to be done are a great idea, I have several with bits and pieces in them. Love your broken dishes quilt. Hope you get back home safely.

Joy D. said...

Sounds like you are snuggled up and warm. I do love my Frixion pens, but I always test them on a piece of scrap first to make sure they don't fade the fabric and wash completely out. Like another reader said, sometimes the take the color out of fabric, and sometimes they don't come out. The other day, I was in my living room admiring a quilt I made many years ago. I squinted and wondered what was on the quilt. After investigating, it was a mark made as I was auditioning quilting patterns. I'm sure I originally ironed it out, but never washed it. The cold temps by the front door had made it visible again

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Looks like you all figured out how to handle and enjoy a snow day! :)

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a lovely day stitching,sounds like a lot of fun at Pop's house,love the pic of the snow.

Kate said...

Sounds like you are making the best of the waiting time. Lots of stitching going on.