Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Backings are the Second B

 I really wanted to use this turkey print on the back of OMG.  It didn't play nicely with any of the other high yardage fabrics in the stash, so I went searching and found a nice aqua and lime paisley print at the fabric store not far from the binding fabric.
 A framed square is my favorite pieced backing.  It looks like it is on purpose, but can be used with a nice combination of whatever lengths are available.  Lizzie came to help of course, she is a great fan of quilts.
This was her helping me with the borders yesterday.  She's great company.
When all was said and done, this is how much extra fabric was left.  Yikes!  Maybe I cut that a little too close?  I any case,  I sewed.  On a school night!  Shocking I know.  Kurt is out at volleyball and he will bring Ryan home from Robotics on his way.  Anna is starting to drive herself now and Sydney decided to skip lacrosse.  Just another nice calm weeknight.  I guess I'd better get everything up off the floor before everyone else decides to start traipsing across the family room.  

15 comments:

canuckquilter said...

If you actually had enough, then it was "carefully planned" not "too close" :) Looks great.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice find with that paisley!! You can just mail that leftover piece to me. LOVE it!! :o))

kiwikid said...

Wonderful backing, that was well planned!! Good to see you have an assistant!!

Jo said...

Doesn't matter how close so long as you had enough. Good work

Delighted Hands said...

Wow, that was a close call! The backing looks great-I like a bit of interest there!

Alison V. said...

I end up "very close" very often with borders and backings! Sometimes it's just easier that way!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I like it!!!

Mari said...

Looks great! And better too close than not close enough!

gayle said...

Your helper did an excellent job, both with the front and the back!
Beautiful quilt! And a real temptation to start making nine patches...

Heidi said...

Ooo, pretty, it woulda been a real bummer if you hadn't had any leftover at all!

Cindy said...

love your blog! and love that paisley! I have it too. So pretty!

Dasha said...

I agree with canuckquilter - your backing was a perfect planning exercise and shows off your fantastic mathematical skills. LOL.
Besides, who needs leftovers?

Deb A said...

I would have been sweating it out with that little left! Great job! Playing with fabric on a school night - you are really enjoying that new license in the family.

Lori said...

Great fabric choices. I love the turkey print!

Kate said...

Congrats on getting the backing made. That one looks very fun. I like the way the green frames that pink. It will be a great back.