Sunday, July 30, 2017

Slow Down Sunday


It is the last weekend before school starts again for teachers.  On Thursday we will all report back to work and start to get ready for a new year.   Today though, I am celebrating the completion of a quilt.  The green Broken Dishes blocks were made from the bonus triangles for a Sister's Choice quilt which I made for Mom.  They finished up at some odd size.  1 and 3/8 inches maybe?  Most of the units weren't big enough to square up to 1.5 inches, and 1 inch just seemed so very tiny!
After they came together, the hand quilting took a while of course, but it is done now!  Each block got four orange peels pointed to the center of the block and then I made Xs in the sashing pieces.  The border is a triangle shaped rope for which I had a stencil.  The corners got a bit unique, but I think it all worked out in the end.  I used frixion pens to mark the quilting lines and it worked like a charm.
I just threw the whole thing in the dryer when it was done and hit the quick refresh button.  When it came out, all the lines had disappeared magically and it had that great crinkle look that is one of the best parts of quilts.
Lizzie approves.  Testing out new quilts is one of her favorite jobs.  I'm linking up with Slow Stitching Sunday today in celebration of hand quilting and Oh Scrap! because what could be scrappier than bonus triangles?

15 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on your newly completed quilt. It's Lizzie approved, so it MUST be good!! The BEST part, in my book, is that you made it with "Bonus Triangles". It's always amazing to see something SEW beautiful made from components that might have been trash. Thanks for giving those tiny bits a higher purpose, as I'm sure they are thrilled!!

Suzanne said...

Beautiful finish! Good luck with the new school year. My Husband reports back to school in 3 weeks. Summer just goes by too quickly.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Lovely Angela! I don't often save those small bonus triangles but this quilt is inspiring. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Deb A said...

Awesome job and I love how you have it displayed! Congrats on the finish and enjoy the last few days before school stars.

Katie Z. said...

Huzzah! A finish is always wonderful, and the perseverance of hand quilting is even more fabulous.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Isn't that beautiful?! I love the little pops of color here and there. When I was still teaching I always loved having a finish at the end of summer break - something accomplished before the craziness of the school year began again. Enjoy your last few days!

Anne Ida said...

What a wonderful finish! Congratulations! Love bonus triangles and the versatility of them ;-)

Quilter Kathy said...

Congrats on a fabulous finish! I love the crinkly texture too!
So great that you made a whole quilt out of pieces that many quilters throw in the garbage!!

Kate said...

Congrats on a beautiful finish! Next week back to school? That's just not right.

julieQ said...

Love your completed quilt! I hope your first week back at school goes just perfectly!

CathieJ said...

So sorry that your summer vacation is over. Here in the Northeast we still have the whole month of August off. Your quilt is fabulous.

Alice said...

Congrats on your finish!!! I really like it! Good luck for a successful new school year!

Karen's Korner said...

A great use of leftovers.

chrisknits said...

What a great quilt made out of leftovers! Great job.

MissPat said...

I have some tiny bonus triangles tucked away somewhere but I don't think there are nearly enough to really make something. I kpt them thinking I might make pinwheels, but they would be an odd size and probably wouldn't match any normal block.
Too bad your summer is ending. That's one of the best things about being retired.
Pat