Thursday, July 27, 2017

Turning the Last Corner

I have just turned the last corner on the border for my green Broken Dishes Quilt.  It is a fitting metaphor as the last week of summer vacation begins.  It is a good time to start finishing up odds and ends while trying to wade back in to thinking about the new school year.  I'm even talking to Mari about a challenge quilt for next year's Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  I think that it is going to be awesome!
I am anxious to finish off this green quilt so that I can start quilting on my Orange Peels quilt.  I want to use pearle cotton for the quilting on it which will be something new for me.  
 Yesterday Kurt and I took his sailboat out for the first time ever.  He's been working on building it for the last year and a half.  There are still a few finishing touches he will work on now that we've taken it for a test run, but it worked great.  We were out on the river on a beautiful sunny day, sailing alongside 4 dolphins.  Not a bad life at all.  This morning I was up early to get in a quick run before it got to be too hot.  Then Anna and I did a few errands to start getting some supplies for school.  It is hard to believe that summer is almost gone!  I'm soaking up every minute.

11 comments:

Sara said...

That sailboat looks like lots of fun. Enjoy!

A challenge quilt for the RSC - sounds intriguing. I think that could be a fun way to go.

Dot M. said...

A 2018 challenge RSC quilt sounds interesting......Just took my 2015 RSC column quilt to be quilted.....it turned out pretty well & I enjoyed working on it.....Thanks for all you do for us.....D.M.

MissPat said...

Wow! Back to school already? Our schools (NY) don't start until after Labor Day, but then they don't get out until late June. A rainbow challenge sounds fun.
Pat

time4stitchn said...

Looking forward to next year's RSC. I have been letting ideas float around. I can't believe you are already going back to school; we, too, start after Labor Day. So I have a few more weeks to get some projects done.

Hope your kids did well on the AP test.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Exciting week for you. Looking forward to seeing what you and Mari are cooking up for RSC18!!!

Kate said...

Congrats on the progress with the hand quilting. The sailing looks like lots of fun. Hard to believe that the start of school is right around the corner. Where did the summer go?

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I bet that was so cool to be on the water!! and look at you!! training away!!

Quilter Kathy said...

What a fun blog post... love the hand quilting photo!
Looking forward to what you have up your sleeve for the RSC next year :)

Cathy said...

What a delightful post! It must be so gratifying to sail in a boat that one built oneself. Can't wait for RSC18! Why is school back in session to soon? Do you have (like we used to have here in parts of Utah) year-round schools with only July off?

Magpie Sue said...

What a beautiful boat! That's quite an accomplishment, building it himself.

claudia said...

My kids are all grown and on their own now, so I have no reference to what summer is anymore. It just seems to me that the summer for the kids is shorter and shorter every year! It sure went by in a flash!
Congrats on rounding that last corner on the Broken Dishes Quilt! It sure looks pretty.
And also congrats to Kurt for the finish on the sailboat. That sure is a feat! It's a beautiful boat, and looks so peaceful out there on the water!