Saturday, January 20, 2018

ScrapHappy Saturday


Pardon me if I'm a little bleary eyed this morning.  I was up late watching the government shut down.  I'm not going to go off on a political rant.  I think it is safe to say though, that everyone in Washington is pretty bad at running the government.  We have an air force base here, and NASA, so there will be quite a few people not going to work on Monday.  Hopefully they will figure out something soon, I'd hate for the Giant Panda Cam to go down. 
Today though, I will sew a little bit and clean a little bit.  Our neighborhood is having a party tonight.  Each house makes some appetizers and then everyone parades around from one house to another. The neighbor planning it is retired military and he has a schedule all planned out with a timer to keep everyone moving.  Kurt has a pork butt on the grill and we will make barbecue pork sliders.  First though, he's off to take Ryan to a math competition somewhere near Orlando and I need to take Sydney to school to finish off her science fair.  January and February are going to be a little bit frantic, but maybe it will slow down after that?  I always think it is going to slow down later, I'll let you know when later gets here. 
Hopefully you have found some time to play with your blue bits this month.  Misterlinky is below, please share with us all.  I've been playing with strings again, so everything is a happy scrappy mess at my house. 

20 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Just earing the news about your government here in France (it's 1:00 PM), and I guess a lot of people will have some days off... Beautiful blocks by the way, I love the black contrasting!

Katie said...

Good luck with slowing down! I expect that will happen after the kids move out, but you'll have wonderful memories and the kids such experiences to talk about! I'm so glad for your challenge. I definitely gives me direction in my sewing room!

Kate said...

I remember all those weekends of getting out the door at the crack of dawn and driving somewhere for something the SIT was doing. I do not miss all the SITs prep for Science Fair. Being a just a judge is so much easier. Enjoy, that running around time goes so much faster than you think it will. Hope you can fit in some stitching time this weekend.

dq said...

I am very sad to hear about your community. If I follow the government very much I get nervous and insecure. It is just best that I stay in my sewing room and shut out the world a bit.

Marly said...

I like your happy mess! It sounds as it you have to hang onto happiness these days. Will you be asked to work for no pay?

Ellen said...

Love your string blocks!

Angie said...

Yay for fabric therapy and happy, scrappy string blocks!

Gail said...

I'm glad to be back at work on Scraps - especially blue! Try to relax after all the running about!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Not the first government shut down, nor will it be the last. I didn't know there was a giant panda cam, will have to look for it.

Ivani said...

Love your String Blocks

Edith said...

I'm having fun playing with my blue scraps this month. Enjoy your neighborhood party, sounds like fun and the kind of thing we do with our neighbors as well.

vicki loves to sew said...

Your blocks are great … it's the first time I've tried to link up and it has worked! :)

vicki loves to sew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

The Government Shutdown started in 1976. I was working for the Govt and was a single Mother working and going to night school. When they called us in and said prepare for being off without pay (and at that time it would have been without pay) I was a little (ha a lot) concerned.

Now I do believe that they need to change this little boonedogle because it is a joke - I have been through 2 of them and we got days off (non-essential) but get paid when it is over with. What a joke and it is being used for political purposes!

Of course I was always essential, in the 1995-96 shutdown I did my work from home.

This division started in 2000 when Gore lost and it has progressively gotten worse. I do not think if I had a business I could not run it like they do.

Well, have a great quilting day - it is good for the soul! No matter if you are a Rep or Dem! Anytime a country puts illegal immigrants over its own people it shows that we have bigger issues to tackle and need to get the people's work accomplished!

Sorry - guess I need to say something! Have a great day!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Suddenly a bazillion appetizers floated through my mind and made me incredibly hungry. What a great idea! :)

Terri said...

I stayed away from the TV today. Mister is retired military and this means we will not be getting any income. So, today I worked in my studio to remind me how much fabric I have (and other craft items) and I do not need to be buying anything for awhile.

You're neighborhood appetizer party sounds like a lot of fun! We live on a "short" block and I think I might ask our neighbors if they would be interested in something like this.

PaulaB quilts said...

Those blue strip squares are really great with the dark framing rows. Have a good week.

Jennie in GA said...

Busy just never seeems to end. Thought it would when I retired, but I was wrong. Have a good remainder of the weekend!

Emily said...

Love the idea of your neighborhood party! Pork sliders are a great choice. Such a fun idea!

Cathy Tomm said...

Love your string blocks. I like the idea of the different widths of black, looks interesting and would use what scrappy strips you have.