Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Tiny Tuesday - Endless Chain

 This is Midget Block number 67 and it is called Endless Chain.  It was paper pieced in 16 subsections which were sewn together as a simple sixteen patch.  Each section has 5 pieces which brings the total for this block to 80 pieces.  No wonder it took so long!
 I modified the directions slightly.  Instead of being trimmed to squares, each piece was supposed to but cut as a pie shaped wedge.  The pie shapes were then supposed to have little triangles sewn in between as inset pieces.  I am not overly fond of trying to hand sew inset seams to anything foundation pieced.  Instead I added another corner of background to each section and then trimmed it to a simple square.  It definitely added bulk to an already seem heavy block, but I'm not sure I could have done it the other way with any success. 
So here is Endless chain, with all its tiny little angles.  This one really would be pretty as a full sized quilt, with bigger blocks of course.  It makes a nice star shaped section when all the blocks come together. 

9 comments:

Ellen said...

Very delicate looking block - I see one in my near future. I hope to get back on track with my Midget Blocks within the next week. I miss them!

Sheila said...

So many pieces, such a small block. Beautiful job. A cute midget block :)

Deb A said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deb A said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Quilter Kathy said...

I love that block! A very challenging one to sew though!

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Love it. I agree it would look fabulous as a bed size quilt, with bigger blocks. You could use up your odd ball skinny strings and do it up scrappy.

Candace said...

Amazing, beautiful and delicate.

Andee said...

Oh my gosh..this one is especially adorable!

Kate said...

Very pretty. It reminds of a game of pick up sticks.