Friday, April 4, 2014

Rainbow Sampler - Depression Block

This one is called Depression Block. I would guess because it uses lots of little bits that might be leftover from other quilts? It is a nice one to use for those bonus bits form flip and sew corners.
Because it is a 4 by 4 block, the subunits are each 2 inches unfinished.  Using the easy angle ruler makes is easy to get your pieces the right size.  You will need 2 inch strips of light and dark fabrics.  I used a consistent light purple for the background and a variety of dark purples.
However you decide to do it, you will need 16 HST blocks.  Sew, remove dog ears and press toward the dark fabric.
Here is the layout of the block.  Basically the HST units are rotated so that they form bands of dark and light giving the block a diamond look.  It is really just 4 identical four patches when you break it down.
I sewed each four patch together and then pressed.  It might have been easier to match the seams if I had done it as one large block instead.
Here are the four patches sewn together to make a finished block.  

8 comments:

Sooli said...

Pretty in purple! I've made one of these blocks for a block swap and I found it was easier to get seams matching if you make the block row by row. You've given me an idea to suggest to my friend who wants to make a large cushion!

Debra said...

Very Pretty! Is purple the color for April?

Deb A said...

Love it. Now to go sew all the blocks you posted last weekend!

belarmina said...

descubro su blog ahora y me gusta,
con su permiso seguiré sus trabajos
saludos

Katie Z. said...

Ooh! I need to get in some serious scrap sewing time... Thank you again for sharing all these blocks! They're gorgeous.

Nell's Quilts said...

Hope to find time to make it and the "orange" block too today. You're keeping us busy.

Sharm said...

I don't seem to be able to locate the post to know what colour we are using for April?

Sharm said...

I don't seem to be able to locate the post to know what colour we are using for April?