Saturday, April 26, 2014

Rainbow Scrap Challenge Sampler - Knot Block

After a long and painful delay, I am finally back on task with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge Sampler.  April has been a busier month than anticipated, but with only 7 school days before the End Of Course for my little guys and 10 school days before the Advanced Placement Exam for my big kids, things will certainly start to calm down soon.
So with no further delay, here is the next block for the sampler!
Cutting directions are super simple.  A 16 patch grid for a 6 inch block needs 2 inch squares.  I used a dark, a medium and a light purple.
dark purple = 2 - 2 inch squares
medium purple = 6 - 2 inch squares
light purple = 4- 2 inch squares
light purple = 2 - 2 by 3.5 inch rectangles

When I first saw the block diagram on this one, the center four patch was the first thing that caught my eye.  I was thinking of doing that first and then building out around it.  Instead, it occurred to me that it would be easier to assemble as four patches instead.
So, here are the four patch units, two with dark corners and two with medium corners.  Notice that the light purple rectangle makes up half of each medium corner unit.  After laying out the pieces, pair up the squares and sew into twosies.
Pressing was a bit of a puzzle for me.  In hind sight, I should have done it differently.  I think that if you consistently press toward the medium purples you will be able to get everything lined up just right.  Pair the dark and medium twosies with the medium and light twosies.  Next pair the other medium and light twosies with the light rectangles.  Twirl your seams and press nicely.
Arrange the four patches so that the dark centers and medium centers all meet in the middle.  Hopefully your seams will all nestle nicely.  Sew the four four patches together and enjoy.  

7 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

Love this one! I could see a whole quilt made of this block!

Deb A said...

Cute block - 2 dark and 4 light squares. It is swapped in the directions. =)

Rebecca in AK said...

I like this block! Pressing is always a puzzle for me.

Rebecca in AK said...

I like this block! Pressing is always a puzzle for me.

Nell's Quilts said...

I think they call this block garlic knot. One of my favourites.

Kathy S. said...

Love this little block. Thanks for the cute tute!

Andee said...

The directions have us cut four 2 inch dark squares, but we actually only need two. (We are two ahead for the next block, lol!) Just wanted to tell you if you want to update it.