Sunday, April 27, 2014

RSC Sampler Antique Tile

Sometimes the simplest blocks can give you the most trouble. I was sure this classic block with just rectangles and squares would go together in a flash. Maybe next time.
The first time I made this block I did bad math and made a nine inch block instead of a 6 inch block.  Ooops.  Just ignore the gridlines on the mat.  
Cutting instructions:
Light fabric: 
1 square 2.5 inches.
4 squares 1.5 inches.
4 rectangles 1.5 by 2.5 inches
Medium fabric: 
4 rectangles 1.5 by 2.5 inches
Dark fabric
4 squares 1.5 inches
4 rectangles 1.5 by 2.5 inches.  

First sew the light and medium rectangles together on the long side
Next, sew the light and dark squares together into pairs.  Press toward the dark in both cases.
This is where I made my second mistake.  To get the seams to nestle nicely, you should sew the two patches of light and dark squares to the rectangles so that half of the dark squares point to the right and half point to the left.  You can rotate the finished pieces if you don't, but getting the seams to nestle becomes a trick.
Arrange the finishes pieces as a nine patch.  Notice that I didn't properly orient my corner units while sewing and had to rotate the seams to get it to work. The light rectangles should all be facing the same direction.  Sew as you would sew any nine patch, making sure you alternate the seams on the back.  

4 comments:

Needled Mom said...

....but it is pretty nonetheless.

Vicki W said...

I like that block a lot.

Andee said...

This one is complicated, whew done!

Kate said...

Looks like fun. Hopefully I can get to this one tonight.