Sunday, April 6, 2014

The T-Shirt Quilt

A friend of mine has a son graduating from high school this year.  She wants to give him a T-shirt quilt as a graduation present.  I tried to convince her that she could do it with a little help, but she isn't crafty at all.  Instead she asked me if I could please make it for her.  What could I say?  I'm about 8 hours in so far -- stabilizing, cutting and laying out the shirts.  I cut them as rectangles this time and I am really liking the way it works.  Each shirt is cut at 14 by 18 which seems to work well for maximizing pattern placement.  Some of the shirts were a bit smaller, so I used the sleeves and pocket emblems to fill those out.  I'm waiting on fabric decisions next.  She wants masculine blues and greens.
Take a look at how big our neighborhood Sandhill Crane is getting.  He is almost as big as Mom now.  There is another family down closer to the main road with a tiny new chick.  It is so much fun watching them grow up each spring.  

12 comments:

Vicki W said...

You are a very good friend! I've made a few t-shirt quilts and they aren't my favorites. Although they are the most loved quilts of all!

Kathy @ Kwilty Pleasures said...

I have a company close by that makes these fairly I expensively considering the Rome and effort involved. I have some tees but just dread giving it a try. Nice work. BTW. I saw mt first Sandhill crane this summer. My friends in FL call them Gooney Birds!

Nell's Quilts said...

How clever to use other parts of the t-shirt to make it the right size for your block. Looking forward to seeing the final quilt. I hope your friend realizes how lucky she is to have you make the quilt for her son. Just stabilizing the fabric is a mammoth task!

Sheila said...

I agree. You are a good friend!

Needled Mom said...

The t-shirt quilt will be lovely. What stabilizer are you using on it? I have some shirts that I need to do something with too.

Nann said...

I have two t-shirt quilts that I should have begun weeks ago. Thanks for sharing your design ideas.

Ellen said...

You are a very good friend! It does require a lot of time and effort to make a t-shirt quilt. It looks great so far.

Anonymous said...

It looks great! I can't wait to see the finished product. :) -Brittany

Andee said...

You are a braver soul than I with the t shirt quilt! Kathy has been saving her big dog emblems as her shirts wear out and she wants one...lol, good thing she sews now!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is a cool idea to do rectangles!!

Kate said...

The layout looks great. Thankfully T-shirt quilts don't take a lot of piecing.

make.share.give said...

Recently, two friends have asked me to make them a t-shirt quilt. So far the answer has been, "No thank you." I like your rectangle size- working out nicely.