Sunday, August 17, 2014

Last Day of Summer Vacation

School starts tomorrow!  Supplies have been bought, backpacks have been stuffed and lunches have been packed.
 In what has become my bizarre end of summer tradition, I went out in the woods behind our house and gathered termites.  I've gotten much better at finding them than last year.  Look at all those little guys!  I do a lab with my AP class and we talk about emergent properties and levels of organization.  Did you know that termites will follow ink trails left by certain brands of pens but not others?  Fun fact of the day, and you thought this blog was all about quilting.
 I also washed a bucket of rocks for my other bio kids.  I used to do this really cool lesson with a peanut on the first day of school.  Everyone grabs one on the way in and then studies it while I talk dramatically about observation and the scientific method.  Then they all put their peanuts back in a bowl where they get mixed up and then they have to find them again.  About 10 years ago, I brought up observation again about halfway through the year, and Susie remarked that it was just like the peanuts from the first day.  I got very emotional that she had made such a meaningful connection when she pulled her peanut out of her backpack.  Just as I was about really to loose it, several other kids all pulled out their peanuts while the rest told me where they kept theirs at home.  Those are the moments that make you remember why you teach.
Well, peanuts are now totally taboo.  I have one student who will react so strongly to peanuts that I can't touch them and then grade papers.  I tried it with apples one year, and that was nice, but expensive.  So this time I'm going to try rocks.  Maybe they will want to have a pet rock when we are done?
I just took the last stitch in the periodic table quilt so that I can get it hung up for the first day.  Kurt bought a big long piece on conduit for a hanging rod and some hooks.  So I guess those are odd preparations for the first day of school, but it looks like I'm are just about ready for students.  

12 comments:

Maryjo said...

Have a great year! Your ideas sound like a great way to grab a child's attention!! Those teachable moments are what makes a great teacher!

Nell's Quilts said...

Sounds like a fun first day.

Scrappy quilter said...

Have a great year. Sounds like it would be fun being in your classroom

Andee said...

Awesome peanut activity..I have interpreted in college level ESL class where the teacher has them do that with apples, really neat to see it in action--I can see where peanuts are the way to go and they can be saved so the rocks sound like a great substitute! Let us know how it goes...and wow where did the summer go? I have one more week until back to college terping, I cannot wait!

Angie said...

Hope you have a great school year! Teachers are always A#1 on my list - so many great memories of my own teachers and my kids'!

Needled Mom said...

It sounds like it will be a great first day for your students. Have a good year.

Rebecca in AK said...

I hope you have a wonderful school year. It sounds like you have some great plans for your classes.

Quilter Kathy said...

I'm sure you are a life changing teacher... you work so hard and are so creative! Hope you have a wonderful school year ahead!

Terri said...

I guess you hope they remember the lesson and carry it with them as a useful memory, but to have them cherish it as well. You did a great job. (I teared up a bit while reading the story, too.)
You will have a wonderful school year - because you are a wonderful teacher.
Hugs

Barb said...

You sounds like you are a wonderful teacher...what an uplifting story to start my day, thanks!!! Hope your first day was wonderful!

Kate said...

Sounds like fun introductions to the scientific method.

DT's chemistry class has started off with a set of extended exercises on developing an hypothesis. She's not having fun with those, but it has been fun to see her reach those "eureka" moments when she finally figures it out.

Kate North said...

You have my sympathies - we have a similar problem here - about a million expectations of what the classrooms need to have (primary school) and about one afternoon of time to accomplish it all in! Lots of teachers have been in over the summer holidays - makes me glad I'm a TA, not a Teacher.