Sunday, November 22, 2015

Plans for Next Year



I've been busy putting together plans for next year.  Vicki and I have been working together to plan out some color schemes.  While it may seem counter intuitive to buy fabric for a scrap challenge, having new colors to enhance the stash is a great way to liven things up.  After using up lots and lots of scraps over the past few years of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, I am excited to be using some of Vicki Welsh's beautiful hand dyed fabric for the RSC16.  You may purchase this special selection of fabric directly from Vicki.  Best of all, it is on sale for one more week!  Go here for all the details.
She will be sending two sets of the fabric to me.  One to use for a follow along sampler quilt, and one to give away, one color each month, throughout the year.
I have been working hard to design a row by row quilt for anyone who wants to follow along in 2016.  There will be 10 rows, and the final quilt will be twin sized.  For those who want a smaller option, I will also offer a 60 by 60 version.  You can even make it larger if you like, by adding two more rows in November and December.  The blocks will all be fairly simple and traditional pieced blocks, assembled into rows as the year proceeds.  Honestly, they are columns, but I don't think a column quilt is a real thing.
It will look something like this, but with pretty rainbow colors inserted into each spot.  Block sizes will range from 3 to 12 inches, but they will all fit together into equally sized rows in the finished quilt.  Ready to play along?  Use Vicki's fabric or your own scraps.  The choice is yours.  Pattern tutorials will be published at the begining of the month starting in January and continuing for 10 months.  That will leave a month for assembly and another month for quilting.
If you have already started pondering plans for next year, you are not alone.  I've seen lots of new blocks in the trail stages on ScrapHappy Saturday.  The button is ready for all those planning to join in for next year.  Up at the top of the right hand column is a "grab my button" gadget.  Just copy the code in the box into a custom html gadget on your own blog and the button should appear.  Then anytime you click on that button, it will take you back to the RSC16 page of my blog.  

13 comments:

beaquilter said...

I've been looking for ideas for next year. I totally meant to join this year but got stumped without a plan, so I'm determined to have more of a plan next year.

SandraC said...

Looking forward to playing along in 2016!

Nann said...

I joined RSC this year. I keep seeing block patterns and quilt layouts that lend themselves to a-color-a-month! I look forward to playing with you (and all the other RSCers) in 2016.

Deb A said...

So excited to start planning for next year. I believe I have houses on tap.... and a few other things I've been adding to the possible list over the year. Guess I really need to push and get a few finishes before the year ends. Clean the pantry/quilt a quilt.... I wonder which will get done this evening? =)

Sheila said...

I love this idea, Angela. Let's do it!

Sally Trude said...

I KNOW that a column quilt is a thing, because I saw it on the So Scrappy blog.

Julianne said...

LOve this quilt idea! I think I am in! The Html code isnt there...help!

Grandma said...

This sounds like fun. Vicki's site does not show the fabric, will we know before we order?

Delighted Hands said...

I'm in. I thoroughly enjoyed the last year's project!
Nice work on the planning; it's appreciated!

Kat Scribner said...

Column quilts is a real thing ... new and it's just vertical row quilts - i love row quilts both ways
http://www.nancyzieman.com/blog/blog-tour/quick-column-quilts-book-and-blog-tour/



Katie Z. said...

Your plan looks quite intriguing. I love the idea of a column quilt!

Kate said...

Looks like fun.

Cheryll said...

I'm in again. It was so much FuN this year. xox