Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Projects for 2017

It is hard to ponder ongoing projects while away from home.  Since I am in North Carolina for a few more days with plenty of time to spare, I'll do the best that I can from memory.
I feel that I have a lot of projects in the works.  I'd like to focus on finishing some of them off this year rather than starting new projects.  The pictures are not necessarily representative of the current state of the projects, but they are what is available away from home.  
I think I'm about halfway done with the New York Beauty Blocks.  I was experimenting with designing my own blocks for paper piecing.  I learned a lot working on these blocks.  I did all the prep work ahead of time, so finishing them off should not be too time consuming.
I started this Mizzou Puzzle block last year.  I think I only got about 4 months worth done?  They are really big blocks, so I shouldn't need too many more to have enough for a nice quilt.
 I've been having a lot of fun with these string blocks. Maybe because my main sewing machine needs to go in to the shop and these work well on my back up machine.  In any case, I'm not out of strings yet, so these will keep going for a while longer.
This design wall shot shows two of my ongoing projects.  The Dear Jane triangles in the background are for the border to the already completed center section.  I pulled these out at the begining of last year and made very little progress.  Will this be the year I finally complete the entire quilt?
The circles are all all prepped, but there is still more hand sewing to be done.  I finished 15 on the trip here, so that is a start.  
I think these framed nine patches are almost done, I just need to pull them out and put them all together.  
The OMG It's a Churn Dash top is done, I just need to press the heck out of it and decide on borders. 


And finally, the row by row.  Again, all the blocks should be done.  Now to put it all together.

Yet another quilt with all the blocks done.  They just need to be sewn together as well.  I am sensing a recurring theme.  I like to make blocks, but should take the time to put them all together when they are done.
Oops, almost forgot about these postage stamp stars.  There are enough blocks finished for two quilts.  I even cut out sashing and cornerstones. Better get those all sewn up into quilts.  

So, I think that is the list for the new year.  There are a couple of other possible projects in the quilting closet, but I think this is plenty to start with.  

23 comments:

Jo said...

Yep, I'm with you. I have been pulling out blocks from 3 - 4 years ago and getting them into tops. They will eventually get quilted and head off to a nursing home somewhere...

Julie in GA said...

I have a similar problem, lots of piles of blocks that need to be turned into quilts. Maybe this will be the year of finishing some of those UFOs. Good luck!

Marly said...

Such a lot of beautiful blocks really deserve to be seen and not boxed. That's my problem too, finishing! good luck in getting those blocks onto beds!

Judy in Missouri said...

I, too, bog down when it comes time to put blocks together. I have several waiting for my attention.

Chantal said...

Oh My! Your plate looks quite full! Enough to keep you out of trouble for a little while I think. Just until a new project shows its pretty face, lol. Go and get'erdone ; completion is the best reward for all the work done. Enjoy! ;^)

Deb A said...

I am a block maker too! But.... running out of room for storage of them so time to sew them into some tops and get them out so i can make room for new blocks! So many pretty projects in process - so glad they will get some attention.

Quilter Kathy said...

I also have a similar problem! So many creative ideas, so many great blocks to sew, but then I get distracted by another great idea and don't get things finished as much as I would like to.
Cheers to more finishes in 2017!

Nann said...

A bevy of rainbows! I especially like the NYB sampler. I made NYB blocks for the first time last year. I want to use them in another project.

Kathy S. said...

Love those postage stamp stars. Glad they came out to play. I'm trying to have more finishes than starts this year. Trying... Good luck!

Katie Z. said...

You have delicious projects to enjoy! Someday, I'll be ready to put my OMG together, but I think I still have 50+ blocks of nine patches to make. Yours is beautiful!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

You should have some awesome finishes this year Angela. I love those little churn dash blocks. I really should make some of those!

The Joyful Quilter said...

At the rate you are going, you've probably got enough for a Project-of-the-Month Club!! Here's hoping that 2017 will be a year of finishes. Good luck making some progress, if nothing else!!

Marlene said...

What an awesome lot of quilt blocks you have here Angela. Really love your NYB blocks and look forward to seeing them sewn togethr into a quilt. Good luck with getting the blocks made into tops.

Sue SA said...

How exciting starting the year off with so many blocks completed that you can make a couple of tops ASAP! I hope all goes well this week with family , it is never an easy time, but so important to come together for the opportunity to celebrate a life well lived of someone so loved.

Jennie in GA said...

I am a block maker, too. The larger the quilt gets, the less I like to deal with it. Looks like you will havr some fantastic finishes!!!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh what fun you will have finishing those!!!

Angie said...

Great looking projects! I hope you have lots of successful finishes!

margaret said...

you certainly have lots pf projects on the go. I tend to get to flimsy stage with a project before starting another unless they are a BOMs but the flimsy pile just gets bigger!

gayle said...

//Raising hand
Another block maker, here, too. I don't mind arranging them to plan the top, but the actual sewing-together always seems to bog me down.
I think we need elves to do the final assembly for us...

Kate said...

You've got some great pending quilts in all those blocks. I'm bad about collecting RSC blocks too. Of the six RSC quilts I've started, only one set of blocks have made it to a finished quilt. Maybe you need to somehow add a finish along to the challenge?

Northern Deb said...

Same as most of you ladies...I have so many blocks and quilt starts. This is my year to finish them up.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Plenty indeed and all beautiful! :)

Danice G said...

'Love them all, esp. the New York Beauty and the row by row. Goodness, you stay busy.