Saturday, January 14, 2017

ScrapHappy Saturday #2

Many moons ago, I started using monochromatic nine patches with two inch squares as leaders and enders.  First I made Mai Tai Sunrise.  The alternate blocks are frames nine patches. 
It was so much fun that I kept making nine patches the next year and turned them into these double framed versions.  This one was called Nine Carat Diamonds.  
So last year I had more nine patches, and set them aside to set as a square in a square with alternating light and dark triangles.  These guys still need to be finished.  I have several finished rows and plenty of nine patches I think. They just need the corner triangles and a bit of assembly.  
So, speaking of finishing and assembling things.  I could not help but to notice last week that A LOT of us keep making blocks year after year and failing to turn them into finished quilts!  It seemed to be the recurring theme of last weeks post from all of our returning rainbow scrap quilters.  So, in an effort to encourage a bit more finishing, I am planning to have a special linky party on the last day of each month.  It will be reserved for finished rainbow scrap challenge quilts.  The first linky will come on Tuesday January 31st.  Start thinking now about whether or not you have a not quite finished rainbow scrap project in the wings that could be put together in time.  Any finished top will do.  It doesn't even have to be quilted yet to qualify.  
Until then though, every Saturday will still be business as usual.  Misterlinky is ready to go today for all of your regular rainbow scrap progress.  January is all about purple this year.  



25 comments:

Deb A said...

Great idea for getting finishes. ! I'll take a look.....

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

These are so pretty ! And that's a great idea for this year :)

Kate said...

What a great way to encourage finishes! I won't be able to play along with that one till I get the graduation quilts done. But once those are finished, I'm going to get some of my older RSC blocks into a finished tops.

Katie Z. said...

What a fun special kinky idea! I, alas, have no sets of blocks lying around, since I am definitely a finisher. It will be fun to see new quilts popping up!

Jennifer said...

i'll join the consensus and say: thanks for the great idea of a finished linky! (you must have been over at my blog, and been shocked at the piles of blocks! ha!) i'll definitely get a fire lit under me and get going on some of those piles of blocks lurking around- thanks!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Good idea to add the special link up for newly finished RSC tops/quilts -- happy to be working with purples this month!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love all your nine patch quilts! So pretty! Your finishing linky is a great idea. That will be just the push I need to finish up the last border on my Scrap Jar Stars!

Sally Trude said...

I applaud your effort to promote finishing quilt tops...however, by showing your delightful Nine Carat Diamonds quilt, I am compelled to START a new quilt. Your quilt is seriously awesome.

Delighted Hands said...

I'm excited to have a plan and a vision for this year's RSC2017!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh, FUN!! Thanks for hosting a FINISHING PARTY!! That will serve as an incentive to put some more of these RSC blocks to work. Hope to see you then (with a completed String Quilt top!!)

Nell's Quilts said...

Looks like I'm on the right page. I really have to finish up some quilts. The tops aren't doing anyone any good hanging in the closet waiting for a finish.

Sheila said...

I LOVE your colorful quilts!

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

I love your quilts! I too have several RSC quilts in progress. It's about time I get them finished. I think your monthly link up will help me be motivated!

Edith said...

What a wonderful idea to encourage finishing, I'm definitely interested, finishing is what I want to do more of this year. Still love the thrill of starting a new project though, so with all the inspiration with the RSC I can do both. Thank you for this lovely meeting place.

canuckquilter said...

I finally caved and joined in :) I'll make it a goal to have a finished quilt top by the end of the year!

Angie said...

Having a finished RSC project link up every month is a great idea! I'm definitely going to finish the New Orleans houses this year!

claudia said...

I love the idea of the nine patches. I still have some purple scraps left and was trying to decide what to do with them. I really want to use them all up so I can legitimately start saving up new scraps! I keep looking at everyone's ideas, I just can't pick one...or even two to go with, they are all either fun, pretty, cute, unique, or all of the above!

Magpie Sue said...

I appreciate the motivation to make something out of my RSC blocks (or in my case, out of the Parts Department!). Thanks for providing this for us. :-)

Sandy Panagos said...

This is my first year to join your challenge. I am hoping to get a lot done and not end up with a UFO!

Ocouss said...

I have been watching this for a couple of years now, and am really excited to finally be joining in. I'm really looking forward to making some progress on my scraps. It's great to see all the different ideas that people are coming up with.

Fiona said...

I love how you finished your 9 patches. It's great seeing what everyone has done
Hugz

Lori said...

What a great idea about finished RSC projects!

Meloney said...

Could you help me with adding my info?
It tells me I am missing op. Can't get it to post anyhing

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Hurray for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, and for all the great purple starts!

Dino said...


This is my first RSC and my first blocks. I made up the cat, but got the leaf idea from another so thanks to Cathy @Sane, Crazy, Crumby Quilting