Saturday, October 22, 2011

Fall is in the Air

It is starting to feel quite brisk around here by Florida standards.  We had to dig out jackets this week and I saw my students wearing long pants for the first time this year.  Sydney seems to have outgrown all of her jeans from last year, so a little sorting and organizing is definitely in order.  It was even feeling a bit chilly at night which made me pull out this quilt that I started last year specifically for colder weather.  My little planning notebook says that I started the design in February of 2010 based on a Bonnie Hunter pattern.  I thought the spinning stars needed to be broken up a bit though and so separated the quilt into quadrants and added a border of simple squares.  It is going to need at least two more borders size wise, I was thinking a 3.5 in the yellow from the center and a 6.5 in the same green.  I don't have quite enough of the four patches though, so I'll need to whip up a few of those first.  We are going to see the school play tonight though, it is the Wizard of Oz.  I have been warned that the flying monkeys are quite scary, but I think the kids can handle it. 

8 comments:

Cathy said...

I love the way you broke the stars into quadrants. Sometimes busy designs need 'caging'.

Cathy B

Lynne said...

wow! That quilt looks very complex! I'm impressed (as always).

Amy said...

This turned out really nice - I like the quadrants.

Jan Maree said...

Gorgeous quilt - will be lovely when it is finished.

Michele, a distracted quilter said...

I love the Star Struck pattern - it has so much movement. I would have never thought of the quadrant idea - and heartily applaud it's use here. It's really very effective (so I will definitely put that idea in my bag of tricks). Feels good to nail some of these older projects doesn't it?

Amanda said...

The quilt is working our really well and looks as if it will be pretty big by the time it's finished. I remember when the boys' school put on The Wizard of Oz, but don't remember any flying monkeys, perhaps they settled for hopping ones! Number One Son was the eponymous hero, so we have lots of photographs.

make.share.give said...

flying monkeys = yuck
I have never made it all the way through Wizard of Oz because of them. Even The Wiz (gorillas on motorcycles) was too scary.

Amy said...

Paul says ... "Tell her that 70 degrees doesn't warrant jackets and pants"....
;0)
Again, I love hearing about the differences in our weather. Yesterday, it was actually a BEAUTIFUL fall day!!! 58 degrees and sunny! No jackets required; just a sweatshirt and pants.

I LOVE the quadrant layout of the quilt. I had forgotten about those blocks.
Happy end-of-school-year's-first-quarter (right? you just finished up?)