Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sew Happy Weekend

Ah, the bliss of weekends!  Yesterday was full of a little bit of this and a little bit of that, but today is wide open and full of quilting.  I ran out this morning to take the girls to breakfast and the grocery store, but fired up the quilting machine as soon as we got back.  I've had the HQ16 set up to a shorter length almost as long as I've had it, most of the quilts that I finish are twin sized anyway and it is hard to get around when the machine is fully extended.  There are a couple of big quilts in the pipeline though and so I decided to stretch it out again.  I'm still not sure where that extra section of rail extender disappeared to, but with a little help from Kurt and a trip to Home Depot we have everything working well again.  I'm filling the middle of Roll Roll Cotton Boll with swirlies and the border with a smallish meander.  This isn't the flattest quilt I've ever made and hopefully fairly dense quilting will hold it all together better.  Between the strings and the excessive number of HST units, I'll have to give myself some credit for learning new skill rather than for perfect craftsmanship on this quilt.  I love how it looks though and wish I could convince Anna to put it on her bed.  Noanie bought her a very fancy bedding set though, so I'll have to find another home for this beautiful quilt. 

6 comments:

quiltingnana said...

learning a new skill is good

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

I plan on using my RRCB in the living room, for the simple fact it took me forever (The next one starts next week already, you ready for it?) and there are almost 5000 pieces in that quilt top. So it isn't going anywhere.

Cathy said...

What I can see from here of the quilt looks wonderful. When my daughter was little, and even as a teenager, she thought it was a big deal to have a store bought comforter on her bed, because there were always quilts there, and she was so used to quilts, and store bought was special to her, because it was different than what was always there. LOL. She is grown up and married now, and appreciates quilts now.

krisgray said...

It's a lovely quilt! Always good to learn something new and to do a quilt with all those pieces - YIKES! I should take up that challenge one day.

Amy said...

Such an amazing quilt; definitely one to hold on to with all the hours invested. Who said a snuggly couch-quilt has to be small?? It'll be a great heavy quilt for those cooler winter temps (??? how cold does it get in Florida, anyway?)

Lynne said...

Sounds like fin! I cna't wait to try mine out!!