Sunday, November 8, 2015

Sawtooth Border Preparation

After much consideration as to what to do with the borders, I finally decided on applique teardrops to extend the cross blocks from the center.  Making more four patches would have been ideal, but without background fabric, that just wasn't going to work.  So I found a teardrop shape on google images and printed out several sizes and shapes to see what would work.  After finding one with the right proportions, I cut out freezer paper templates and ironed them onto the right sides of the fabric.  
 Here are my 24 rough cut teardrops ready for a bit of prep work.
 They will look something like this when I get them sewn down.  Now the best part, I get to settle down and spend a little time with needle and thread doing slow stitching.  What a perfect way to spend a Sunday afternoon.  To see what other slow sunday stitching is going on in blogland, head over to Kathy's Quilts.  

16 comments:

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

The teardrops are going to look very pretty extending out into the border!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Very inventive way to finish off those chains. I like!

Deb A said...

Great solution! Love the teardrop idea.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

How pretty this will be! Don't stab yourself like I just did when you applique, lol...

Sarah said...

This is going to look lovely I think!

Julierose said...

those tear drops are just so different and lovely--great idea i like the curvey shape contrast with your blocks...hugs, Julierose

The Joyful Quilter said...

I wondered what you were talking about when you considered that possibility. That's a GREAT finishing option!!

gayle said...

What a lovely idea! Enjoy your stitching.

Angie said...

Brilliant!

Nell's Quilts said...

Extends the pattern without repeating! Great thinking.

Linda said...

Great idea for the border. The teardrops will be lovely for your border. Enjoy stitching!

Kaja said...

What a good idea - just a little bit different but totally in keeping with the rest of the quilt. Have fun getting them stitched into place.

Quilter Kathy said...

What a super cool idea... you are so creative!
Thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching!

Delighted Hands said...

I can't picture it so I am looking forward to the next posting about this!

Kate said...

I really like the tear drop idea.

Andee said...

Great solution!