Saturday, November 7, 2015

Then This Happened

I was on my way to finishing the borders for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge Sawtooth Star Sampler Quilt 2015.  I loved all the suggestions to extend the cross blocks out into the border.  After getting out all the leftover fabric and starting to lay them out, I realized that I was out of background fabric.  How did that happen?  I tried the grey, but it was really too dark.  There was, however, a fairly big chunk of slightly darker dotted background batik fabric.   I am considering some teardrop applique to extend the pattern, but first, I need another piece of background fabric.  So close!  Fortunately, most of my fabric comes from Connecting Threads and they still had more of the same fabric.  It was even on sale!  So three more yards are on the way along with enough other fabric to get to the free shipping with a $50 order.  Why three yards when I only need a piece 4 inches by 30 inches?  You just never know when extra background fabric will come in handy.

There is fortunately, plenty of fabric for the backing.  I can get that pieced together and be ready to go when the last of the border fabric shows up.  

13 comments:

gayle said...

Oh, it's always a good idea to buy extra for background fabric.
And they're having a sale? Gotta go see!

Sheila said...

It's absolutely beautiful!

LA Paylor said...

what the heck happened to the link party???
LeeAnna

Julierose said...

Oh that will be perfect--you can always use x-tra backgrounds...hugs, Julierose

Nell's Quilts said...

I've got two different background fabrics going in mine. The store didn't have any more and I couldn't find it on line so there are two - one floral and one leafy. Lucky you were able to get more of the same.

PaulaB quilts said...

Why are we quilters all alike when it comes to buying fabric? Right now I have a new one in my wish list, but will wait until a sale and then spend extra to,get free shipping. I groan when my Visa bill comes!

Deb A said...

I had to hunt for mine... I forgot it was being tested for the dresden plate background and never made it back into the sewing room! I am starting to make my connector blocks..... I think I need to plan my borders before I put all the ends of the dyed fabrics away. I'm intrigued by the appliqué teardrops.... will look forward to seeing what you mean.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I have to do the same thing. I will spend $30 to get free shipping..............

Delighted Hands said...

There is an irony in buying fabric for a scrap quilt! Nice work.

Lisa said...

OMG your quilt looks so good. I have only just finished piecing all 100 blocks from last years sampler and I'm procrastinating about how to put them together LOL

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I don't think one can ever have too much background fabric! ;-) I really like that Sawtooth Star quilt.

Kate said...

Extra background is a very good idea. I used left overs for some of my early RSC quilts and that's why they aren't done. I don't have enough of the background to finish them off and I haven't quite figured out how to compensate for that.

Andee said...

I don't know how you get it all done! I just don't have the time I used to to sew...this getting healthy thing takes a lot of time and energy, but hopefully I gain years of sewing time from it!