Sunday, November 22, 2015

Trial Block RSC16

I was looking for a new block for 2016.  Something large in size so that one or two blocks each month would make a nice quilt by the end of the year.  Something that uses common strip sizes.  Something "starlike".  I thought about Carpenter Star, and Ice Crystals, maybe Swoon.  I sketched them out on graph paper and played with colors.  Finally, I decided on Missouri Puzzle.  It uses 3.5 inch and 1.5 inch strips.  It is a 15 inch block.  It resembles a star.  Best of all, in dark and light, it would make a nice layout for a quilt.  Since aqua never got a turn this year, I thought I'd make a trial block with some of the aqua scraps from the cleaning up yesterday.
 Layer 3.5 inch strips of background and aqua fabric together and use the easy angle ruler to cut 8 HST units.  In addition to those you will need 9 3.5 inch aqua squares.  These can be all the same or scrappy.  I chose to use two shades because I didn't have enough of any one color.  In addition you will be making two strip sets from the 1.5 inch strips.  Dark-light-dark is needed for the corners of the nine patches, so it only needs 12 linear inches.  The light-dark-light however, makes up the center of the nine patches as well as the rail fence portion of the center section, so this will need 20 inches total.  It is fine to use multiple sections or make it scrappy.  That is part of the fun for scrap quilts after all.
 Sew the HST blocks together and make both strip sets.  Press toward the dark fabric in both cases.
 Next, sub cut your strip set.  Start with the rail fence units.  You will need 4 - 3.5 inch lengths.  Then start cutting the 1.5 inch sections.  You will need 8 dark-light-dark and four-light-dark-light
 Use the 1.5 inch sub cuts to make four 9 patches with dark in the outer corners.
 Wow is this a HUGE block.  I had to find a bigger cutting mat to put on the TV tray that sits next to my sewing machine.  Lay everything out and sew the blocks together.  It would be fun to play with the layout on this.  I've seen lots of versions with the center edge squares in contrasting colors, but I thought that it took away from the star like quality.  The center could easily be an accent or string block.
Press carefully and you will have one ginormous 15 inch finished quilt block.  Maybe next week I'll try one with the reverse color placement?  

16 comments:

Sara said...

Very pretty block. I think this could be fun for next year.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

what size is the finished block - I like it

Delighted Hands said...

Very pretty and room for some playing around! Nice choice!

Angie said...

I really like this block and have several versions pinned to my inspiration board. I hope I get a chance to give it a try this week!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh I like!!!!

genie said...

I have been busy all day slowly work on quilted Christmas presents for my friends. I have you in my reading list and saw your square. I LOVE IT! I am always wondering what to do with the teal pieces I have from my different Moda packs. This is a wonderful idea. Thanks for all the advice and help. I think I will give it a try. genie

Karen said...

I like it! It will make great rainbow blocks.

Kristi said...

You've been busy!

I'm a little confused....Are we making a 'row' quilt with 3inch to 12 inch blocks? Or a Missouri Star quilt with big blocks? Or both?

Thanks! Love your creative use of color!

Dasha said...

I like that block! I think I will join in with it next year.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Need to make a test block of my own using this . . .

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'm wondering how this will lend itself to scraps. Do the scraps only play into the very center and the corners?

gayle said...

I've long admired that block and you're making it look extra-tempting!
Though I did see a tutorial for a 7.5" version that I've been wanting to try...

Kathy's A Quilter said...

this is lovely, but whoa...it's a huge block..by scrappy standards. Sorry about that, I sounded just like the quilt police. This will make a lovely quilt. Quilt on!!

Katie Z. said...

I love the block! My largest scraps are currently 2.5", so I've rejected blocks like this for scrappy projects. I may end to make one (or two) from stash!

Kate said...

Very pretty block. Another candidate for all those 1.5" strips left over from this year.

Dona said...

I made this block many years ago and finally finished hand quilting it this year and gave it to my mother. It is one of my favorite blocks