Saturday, January 12, 2019

ScrapHappy Saturday #2

I hope you are all off to a great start with RSC19.  I know I've been spending some time sorting and organizing, I'm sure I'm not alone in my preoccupation with having things tidy at the start of a new year.
There has been some sewing too of course.  As soon as all the scraps were organized it was time to put some of them into blocks.  The 2.5-inch squares went into scrappy sprouts blocks.  I really like how they came together.  This block has been on my list for quite a while now.  I think that I will need about 5 of each color to have enough for a nice sized quilt by the end of the year.  Then the 2-inch squares went into some 9 patches which I framed in alternating black and white.  Each color will make a column of 10 blocks and 8 colors should be enough for a quilt.  I might combine orange and yellow.  I never seem to have much orange on hand.  I'm just starting on the strings, so that might be my project for the afternoon.  We have been looking at condos and townhouses on the beach and are meeting with a realtor after lunch.  It is starting to sink in that we will have only one child left in the house when school starts again next fall.  Where did the time all go? 

Be sure to check out the second Tiny Tuesday block.  It is applique.  Don't be afraid to try it.  They are just scraps after all.  Everything that seems hard now will be easier with practice.  I'll try to introduce several methods of applique prep this year.  You just never know what you might end up enjoying.  There is an ongoing list on the RSC19 Sampler tab in case you are looking for a specific block. 


    An InLinkz Link-up
   

11 comments:

Turid said...

No red blocks for me this week, as I'm not at home with my sewing machine. Coming back next week.

Kate said...

Those sprout blocks have been on my list too. Your red versions are really fun.

The empty nest thing takes some getting used to. Our little bird headed back to college on Tuesday, I'm still getting used to coming home to an empty house again. Hope the condo hunting goes well.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

All of your red blocks look wonderful! Working on my Scrappy Sprouts from last year is next on my list of things to finish. Have a great weekend, Angela!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I never joined up with the different colors of the month - does a person make a certain amount of blocks or whatever they want? and you tell people at the beginning of the month what color if I understand right?

sewandsow said...

I have both blocks done. I used my Accuquilt cutter for my circle and then did machine blanket stitch with invisible thread. I am so happy how it turned out. Can't wait for the next block!

Marti said...

You are making great progress on your blocks. I read your Tiny Tuesday applique post and like the way you explained it. I am doing some larger circles right now and haven't hit on a method that really works for me. I'm going to try your method next.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Too busy with other projects, no red on the cutting and sewing table... Yours are beautiful!

Edith said...

So many lovely red projects here. Angela, I really like the nine-patches framed with black or white, I have an abundance of black with white and some white with black, this might be a nice project to help use some of it up. Love all the great inspiration I get from this site.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice job on your RED scrap sewing!! Best of luck on finding your perfect place on the beach. Having only one kid at home is weird, but it's even weirder when there are NO kids left at home!

quiltingbydawn said...

I like the blocks you chose for RSC! Scrappy Sprout blocks have been on my list for a while too!

Char said...

I really like the 9 patches with the black and white.