Monday, December 31, 2018

Tiny Tuesday Sampler -- The Plan

The Rainbow Scrap Challenge started a few years ago as I worked to try to systematically use up some of my scraps.  Along the way, I added a weekly link-up so that other people working to use some of their scraps own could share their progress as well.  
During some years I have also offered specific sampler quilt patterns.  Last year I even collaborated with Mari at Academic Quilter to create Squared Away.  These sampler quilts have been some of my favorites throughout the years. 
This year my inspiration started with the setting instead of with the blocks.  Having a unifying theme can really help to tie scrappy quilts together.  Because we are using scraps to make sampler blocks, unification can be important.  

 After coming up with an initial idea, I worked backward to decide on block size and such. 

Each block will be 5 inches unfinished and 4.5 inches finished.  Half will be set straight, and the other half will be set on the diagonal.  They will include both pieced and applique blocks.  I will post one block each week for the next 48 weeks which will give you enough blocks to make a large lap sized quilt by the end of the year.  I've done a bit of math for you in case you want to make a larger or smaller quilt.  Feel free to make only some of the blocks or to add more blocks of your choice.  Any block that is about 4.5 inches finished should work.  The sashing will help smooth out any small inconsistencies.  
Because collaboration is always fun, I am also inviting others who want to join in to design a block to share.  Just design a block and write a short tutorial.  Let me know when you would like to post your block, and I will work it into the schedule.  I will then post a link and make a PDF of your tutorial to post on the RSC19 Sampler tab at the top of the blog.  

 Fabric requirements:
Scraps in 10 colors.  No need to shop -- please use what you have
One background fabric of your choice.  3.5 yards for the large lap sized quilt. 


9 comments:

Chantal said...

I haven't made a sampler of yours yet, but I do love to see how the other quilters use your blocks in theirs quilts. They end up so different from each other. Maybe I will join this year since the blocks are smaller. Regardless, what I want to say is Thank you! All the work you put in every week to make the linky party available to us and designing blocks and all ... thank you, Angela. I appreciate what you do for what it is. A whhhhoooolllleeee lot of time away from your family and sewing machine. Wishing you all the best for 2019. ;^)

Kathy's A Quilter said...

Angela, this is such an ambitious project, and so exciting. Thank you so much for your inspiring ideas and all this work. I am so looking forward to this 2019 adventure. Happy New Year

Pamela Arbour said...

I think I am ready for this one! Bring it on!

Jo said...

I'm on holidays this week. I'll try to do a block and send it to you to see what you think.
Looking forward to following you again.

beaquilter said...

Great plan. You need EQ!!

Barbara said...

Sounds like fun! Count me in! I’ve been wanting to hone my mini skills, and so this will fit with that goal.

The Joyful Quilter said...

So... Did I miss that January's Color of the Month is RED??? I haven't seen an announcement. Tiny Tuesday sounds like a TON of fun!!

Material Girl said...

I LOVE small blocks. This looks like fun! Ready to start. Thanks

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

That layout would be great for an I Spy quilt. Thanks.